Poll: Will you have any use of LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttacka, Mar 10, 2012.

?

Will your iPad 3 make use of the 4G LTE feature?

1. No, Im buying the Wi-Fi model

23.7%
  2. No, Im buying the LTE Model but no access to an LTE Network

18.4%
  3. Yes, Im buying the LTE Model and I have access to an LTE Network

57.9%
  1. MacAttacka, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

MacAttacka macrumors 6502

4G LTE is touted as a huge new feature but it is pretty much useful only to North Americans. Im guessing only a tiny fraction of users will benefit from this tech.

Edit: Im not talking about your use of 3G, Im only polling 4G LTE use.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If by tiny fraction of users you mean millions of people then, yes.

3. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

By tiny fraction I'm guessing less than 10% and certainly not any Glaswegians.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nope, 64GB wifi only for me...I have a 4S and a three month rolling contract. I have no need of another sim device.

5. RevolvingSheep macrumors regular

I'm actually going all out. I ordered a 32g 4G and will be paying the $30 a month plan for 3g of data per month. I'm going to try this out and if I use under 250mb, I might downgrade.

I love to be able to use my iPhone's data no matter where I'm at. I go on road trips a lot and will enjoy being able to go online with my iPad on the road.

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I already have a Verizon 4g mifi device, so I have no need for built-in cellular network connectivity. Especially at a $130 price premium.

7. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

No LTE in my neighborhood, but I'll be getting the 4G version so I can access 3G wherever I go.

8. urkel macrumors 68030

I was wondering about real world use of LTE too because with data caps and all then are people really looking for high speed data transfer?

9. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I do too, and debated heavily on whether to get the Verizon 4G LTE version or not. Ultimately, I decided to get the 32 GB Wifi with VZW 4G for a couple of reasons.

The Mifi is great, and I get good speeds. But the battery life isn't that stellar and I always feel the need to plug it in to use it. Also, the convenience of not having to pack the Mifi will be nice, if I only need my iPad that day. Also good for road trips, because the Mifi won't broadcast a Wifi signal if it's plugged into most car chargers (I did find one car charger that doesn't also have the data transfer cables, so that one works). Also, when it comes time to sell it to pay for the new NEW iPad, it'll add to the resale value.

10. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know a good site to look up whether or not your area supports 4G LTE? I tried looking but couldn't find anything.

11. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

12. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

Just go to Apple's new iPad order page and you will find links to both the ATT and VZW coverage areas. :apple:

13. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Do people realise outside the USA and Canada, there is no 4G access for the iPad and even with the US coverage is patchy and data is capped for most? When 4G arrives in Europe and the world in a couple of years it will need a brand new radio chip to work. A Verizon 4G iPad will only run 4G in the United States, on a Verizon network where there is coverage not anywhere else. Ofcourse it switches down to 3G everywhere else but that's not the point of this thread, Im only talking real world 4G LTE usage, the 70+Mb download speeds Apple were talking about.

In international markets I think Apple have a responsibility to make it clear that they are only going to getting 3G, beefed up 3G but 3G none the less, not 4G LTE.

On Apples UK website, 4G being branded as a feature. This is just wrong. There is no 4G network in the UK and when it does arrive sometime after 2015 it will be based on a totally different standard. Its like advertising NTSC or CDMA. These are USA/Canada specific features. Apple are going to be giving themselves a big headache when European customers who have very little technical awareness start asking why theyre not getting 4G usage on their 3G networks.

The 4G LTE feature should be downplayed in non-US territories.

I applaud Apple pushing 4G LTE in the US and Canada, two of the very few countries with 4G networks (yay Apple!), for everyone they need to know they are getting 3G.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

So you are calling North Americans only a tiny fraction of users. Many of the larger cities are covered now and AT&T will have many more soon. People outside the USA and Canada are likely out of luck. I will lose no sleep over it.

So what is your point.

LTE or 3G will be used seldom for many but like others, when I got to have it, I want my iPad to have it ready to go. You will be parking outside stranger's houses looking for a signal!:p

15. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Yes, 4G is what I've been waiting for. I use my iPad in shops and take customers payments and orders right there. The problem is that I need to use LogMeIn because my POS is windows only. This works great over WiFi but has many drawbacks over 3G. It's usable but having 4G is going to make all the difference in the world.

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

if everything goes as plan and i can put my galaxy nexus micro sim lte Verizon chip to work in the ipad LTE.

I can just cancel my home internet alltogether. Since i have unlimited unthrottled Verizon LTE in orlando.

I usr my iphone 4s on att as my main phone anyways so dont care for Verizon number. Just care about lte speeds.

17. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

No!

I will most certainly buy an iPad 3 with 4G, but sadly Apple does not seem to care about supporting the LTE network which Netcom have been running here in Norway since 2009. :rolleyes:

18. MacAttacka, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Supposedly only 40% of iPads sold on this planet are 3G. Let's say 1/4 of that total are from the US. Lets say a further 1/4 of those live in dense big cities and will have real life access to 4G LTE. So bearing this rationale in mind, I dont get how half the voters on this planetwide poll expect to use 4G LTE in their locality. Im guessing a lot of these people have no idea what 4G is, where the networks are or what the roll out timetable is for their region. Im not suggesting anyone lose sleep over this but it would be interesting to find out how many of the, lets say 15million+ buyers of the new iPad this quarter will make actual use of 4G LTE.

Realistically I expected the breakdown to be something like
    ~60% wifi,
    >35% 3G
    <5% 4G LTE.

Instead we have
    38% Wifi
    14% 3G
    48% 4G LTE

19. big samm macrumors 65816

Of course ill be using lte on my new ipad, i use netflix, slingplayer,YouTube, nhl gamecenter, Mog music, basically lots of streaming!

20. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Im totally jealous of all of all of you who will be enjoying your LTE speeds:p In the UK, we're around 3-4yrs years away from a commercial network.

Having said that, in the UK, our carriers allow us uncapped HSDPA data which we're free to tether to any device. I can then use my iPad (jailbroken) as a hotspot and primary internet connection. On average I get 3-5Mb per second speed and download around 20-30GB per month. I have been doing this for over 2yrs now and have never had my carrier cap my use. I dont even think my use is throttled. Did I mention we pay £19.99 per month, which is, what $31 including tax?

Somehow I think we in Europe still have the better deal for data than the US and especially Canada

21. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Once AT&T pulls their heads out of their @$$es, builds out a decent LTE network.. My unlimited plan will be worth it.

For cell phone service, different story.. Stick with Verizon.

22. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Verizon has LTE in Portland, so yes, I'll have use for it for sure.

23. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I opted for the LTE model. I want to be able to be connected whenever and wherever. And AT&T likes us in OKC so I'll be able to get actual LTE speeds!

24. neutrino23 macrumors 65816

I've been debating what to do which means the ship date is slipping farther and farther away.

I'll probably go for the 32GB, AT&T LTE. I want the GPS chip which comes with LTE. I may or may not use the LTE radio. This is what I did with iPad 2. It turns out that I'm never away from wifi when I really, really need it Anyway, I'll have it just in case. I travel extensively on for my job so paying a little more for the security of being able to get on line if needed is not much.