Poll: Win vs OSX: Is the tide turning?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mollemand, Jun 4, 2008.

?

Are people predominantly migrating from Windows to OSX?

1. Nope, I see the opposite trend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, it's the same as always

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. Yes, I beleive they are

33 vote(s)
    82.5%
  1. Mollemand macrumors regular

Do you find that people in general are migrating from MS Winows to OSX?

EDIT:
    Give some reasons for your opinion.

I personally just migrated two days ago to escape Vista. I have a lot of Mac experience, but I was never an owner. I'll take OSX any day over Vista. My sister got her first Mac some 3 months ago. I think the rest of the family will follow.

2. anubis26 macrumors member

Personally, I think so. Sales figures show Apple growth even in places where PC sales fall (ie Japan), and here, I even get people who don't know anything about computers asking should they buy a mac. I think the tide is definitely turning.

Btw, are you going to set up an actual poll?

3. Mollemand thread starter macrumors regular

Aye, sorry mate it's my first poll in this forum ... it took a while :D

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

WEll considering how windows was well seated for a while and then vista helped make the point that windows sucks then yes I do think so.

Win XP Vs. OS:X = pretty good standings for windows but then the following

Win Vista Vs. Leopard = Uber pwnage.

The reason we are seeing a switch is because most PC's that run vista actually don't meet its recomended settings which leads even there own update agent to say that it is not worth buying vista for your computer.

all Mac needs is functional .net and DX9 and windows is dead

5. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I moved from Windows four years ago and haven't looked back. As of today, four of my co-workers have made the switch for the personal machines. They all agree with me that the ease of use, rock steady reliability and the perfect plug and play make Mac ownership a joy. I use my BlackBook for work when I have to be on the move, and I always encounter people who are amazed I am running a Power Point presentation or working in Excel. With few exceptions, there are no real reasons for me to even use Windows at work. If only our IT people would allow it.:confused:

6. Mollemand thread starter macrumors regular

It is obvious that Vista is struggling - Ask HP, LG or Dell, and they will give you a Win XP Pro 'downgrade CD' on your Vista Biz/Ultima purchase!

In the light of this my poll is unfair (as is the forum to publish it in).

I do not wish for windows to die - I wish for competition. My cons on the mac side is being hog-tied to one hardware vendor, who may all of a sudden turn and focus on silly phones instead of giving me the upgrade I want.

It is clear that macs would be so much easier to sell to the it department at work if it had a solid .net. As for DX9, I have been away from the game dev biz for too long to even know what the difference is between DX9 and DX10. When I was active it was DX7 :D (Not the horrible Yamaha keyboard)

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

There no question that the Mac market is growing. I have several friends now considering the switch, in large part after seeing my set up at home with my iMac, how well it works, and how frustrating their own computers have been.

I don't know if I'd say 'predominately,' but there's definitely a shift going on. Slow and small at this point, but it's happening.

8. Mollemand thread starter macrumors regular

I was struggling with the wording to make it sound less biased :) I chose 'predominately' to allow for people to view it as a trend rather than as a 'all are migrating towards one system'. I too believe that it is a slow trend, but in my world it is gathering momentum. I wanted to know if you guys are seeing the same picture, or if it's just me who are mac coloured at the moment.

9. sharky05 macrumors regular

As a recent migratee i agree that mac has managed to reinvent itself as a creative tool that appeals to young people, and while three years ago i would not even have considered a mac as it seemed like too much of a one-way street, new factors such as Intel, windows dual booting and the amazing design and build quality are swaying people like me.

Having said that, once i made the switch to this mac, i have had no desire to dual-boot windows on it - leopard is (almost) all i need!

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

From Apple's perspective, the tides are definitely turning. Their marketshare is rapidly and significantly decreasing. However, from Microsoft's perspective the tide is not necessarily turning. Microsoft still holds an overwhelming market advantage, and will continue to for the foreseeable future, despite the fact that a lot more people are switching to Mac than from Mac.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I saw many, many more people with mac laptops when I finished law school (this may) than when I started (9/05). I also see a great many more mac laptops on trains and planes than I used to. Being a mac nerd, I always notice. ;) Also, a few of my formerly windows-only friends and family have switched or fully intend to with their next purchase. Definitely seems like a trend in apple's direction to me.