Poltergeist Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by djmtrading, Feb 27, 2008.

1. djmtrading macrumors newbie

My wife's Mac Mini is haunted! We have just upgraded to Leopard, and ever since, the mini turns itself on in the middle of the night. I've already been to the Energy Saver panel in System preferences and all the schedule options are deselected.

I honestly have no idea where to look next. I thought I'd ask here before going to the church for an exorcism.
    :confused:

2. mheidt macrumors member

funny...mine acts the opposite.
    Since leopard it doesn't wake up.
    eyeTV is supposed to record some series in the middle of the night, but it overslept the thursday, 2:00am recording three times in a row.

Maybe your mini could call mine up tonight :)

3. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Holy water might not be a good idea ;-) haha.

4. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

You know, I honestly believe the last place I lived was haunted. My ghost liked to play with light switches and power buttons. I was sitting at my desk one night when both my computers (PB G3 Wallstreet & 12" PB G4) came out of standby. Then a few minutes later my treadmill turned on and started going full tilt. I was a little unnerved that night to say the least.

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I've seen this problem a lot this 10.5 for a lot of people. I have no idea why. Sometimes it can be caused by power surges, other times by an app (iChat for instance).

Most of the time no one knows why and the problem goes unsolved.

You can try resetting the nvram and whatnot, probably won't help though.

6. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Make sure to tell it to run away from the light.

7. djmtrading thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I've learned 3 things:

1) Mac users have as crazy a sense of humour as I do
    2) Despite the PR, OSx does have glitches and gremlins (still knocks Windows into touch though)
    3) We all watch way too much TV!
    :)

Thanks. if anyone does hear of a way to solve this, please drop me a message.

8. catlady13 macrumors newbie

Mine too

I own 6 pcs and just bought a mac mini to try out the OS. I had heard so much about macs and wanted to give it a try. I was wondering if this was a normal thing till I read this post. I can't wait to till my friend who talked me into buying a mac because they are "perfect". I am just glad to know I am not imagining it cause at first I thought I was hearing things. I have it set up on a KVM switch with my pcs and heard its boot up sound and though .. boy am I nuts. Is this common with other macs ?? Does anyone know?

9. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Try simulating a quick power surge/outage while the mini is in the same state that it is in the middle of the night...what happens?

10. seabass1213 macrumors newbie

Leopard, is a an upgrade from Apple, in which they tryed to get your comptuer more responsive then in Tiger, when Comptuers were kinda slow when u clicked ur mouse or kepboard after it went to sleep. Sometimes the best way is to shut it off in the night, just try and keep the mac away from areas where it might skate from a bed, or if washing machine is rumbling the ground a little. Like i said, because Leopard is more repsonsive then tiger. Hopes this helps. :)

11. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

lolz

wow, alot of ppl are having "weird" things happen to there mac's, since leopard, but i have had really no troubles, i enjoy leopard alot more than windows.

12. catlady13 macrumors newbie

not asleep

What I really don't understand is mine was NOT sleeping. It was turned off. It was not in hibernation or any such thing,.. it was absolutely off and it is on a surge protector though not a UPS.

13. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

14. johto macrumors 6502

johto

15. djmtrading thread starter macrumors newbie

Pray for me

So, I'm going to try the fix suggested tonight. I've sent the kids to the Grand parents, and my wife has broken out her rosary.

If you don't hear from me again . . . . :eek:

(Oh My God, you've got me at it now!)

16. djmtrading thread starter macrumors newbie

Yee Ha! Success!!

We are free. The fix worked. No bumps in the night. No "DaDa!" at odd hours. Oh, bliss.

Thanks so much for the help.

Regards

Derrick:D

17. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

18. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto