Poly macbooks for academic and pro audio

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CalumC, Nov 12, 2008.

1. CalumC macrumors regular

Hello everyone, i could do with a bit of help with choices.

Essentially, in February i plan to buy either a macbook pro or an iMac for professional audio and as my main computer, either way, theyll be spec-ed to their max i think. Trouble is, I have university assignments being set due in January that I will need to be able to work on over the christmas break, which i can't currently do as i'm tied down by the big lump of pc i currently use.

I'm thinking that my best option would be to buy one of the polycarbonate macbooks and shove some extra ram in it so that i've got a fairly fast portable machine for doing academic work on, and possibly on the go mixing with logic and/or pro tools. The other option of course is to buy myself a windows laptop, which would take logic out of the equation which i'm fairly keen on, plus the desire for an apple laptop anyway.

Any thoughts?

2. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

You can't make do with a PC for a couple of months?

If you plan on buying the poly macbook and keeping it, rather than buying a macbook pro or imac, fair enough. But if you're planning on selling the macbook in a few months, then buying the macbook pro or imac - that's an awful lot of hassle rather than waiting a few months. (Especially since I'm sure your university will have PC's running whatever software is needed - even if it's not your favourite - to get the assignment done).

andy.

3. CalumC thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, just realised where our lines are crossed. Im in uni halls of residence, so i'll be going home over christmas, which is why i need a laptop of some sort.

Sorry about that confusion. If i do get a macbook then i'll get an imac in feb and use the macbook as my portable machine.

4. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

My apologies for misunderstanding.

In that case, go for it mate. My brother has a poly macbook and loves it - though it's badly cracked, despite never leaving the house, so be careful!

My dad also has an imac, and absolutely loves it. Such a fast, good looking machine. It's his first mac, and he'll not be going back to windows any time soon.

For what it's worth, both my brother and a friend use Logic on their macbooks, hooked up to monitors, keyboards, decks, external sound thingies, all sorts of stuff I don't understand, and they're really happy with the setup.