Polymail Launches iOS App With Contact Profiles, Email Read Receipts, and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Desktop email client Polymail recently launched a new iOS version of its app, focusing on simple and intuitive ways to get users through massive email lists with the same connected and social-minded aspects of the desktop app. Polymail allows users to manage their Gmail, iCloud, and Outlook, through the iOS app, which now syncs automatically with the Mac app as well.

One of the standout features of Polymail is its social networking angle, which has each user create a "Contact Profile" detailing their employer, location, and a brief customizable bio section. These cards show every interaction you have had with any particular person, letting you browse among email correspondence and attachments shared between one another, and even detailing when they read an email, and how many times, similar in style to Apple's Read Receipts.

"Email usage is moving more and more towards mobile but these productivity features have typically only been available on desktop," says Brandon Foo, co-founder of Polymail. "We want to give users the best set of tools for mobile across any email provider."
In addition to contact profiles and email tracking, the app also provides features like read later, send later, and follow-up reminders, which the company points out as being mostly browser add-ons in the past, placing Polymail as the first major mobile and desktop app to embrace them. The service even allows users to un-send emails "within several seconds" after they're sent, making it easy to fix grammar and spelling errors that are recognized in the time window.

Following its debut on the Mac App Store, a few users compared Polymail to Dropbox's now-defunct Mailbox client, which has generated some positive word-of-mouth leading up to its release on iOS. Still, its email tracking abilities and robust permissions list have raised a few flags for some users. Although not speaking on the topic of security and privacy specifically, Polymail reiterated that its ultimate goal is in making "enterprise workflow as effortless as possible," aiming to lessen the gap between email clients "and the rest of the business applications companies use."

Those interested can try out Polymail for themselves by downloading the free app on the App Store today. [Direct Link] The company mentioned that a higher-tier "Polymail Pro" subscription model is gearing up to launch sometime soon, but gave no details on its price point or premium features.

Update: This article originally stated IMAP accounts are supported, as indicated on Polymail's website. IMAP support is, however, not yet available.

Article Link: Polymail Launches iOS App With Contact Profiles, Email Read Receipts, and More

Stu69

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
London, UK

Desktop email client Polymail recently launched a new iOS version of its app, focusing on simple and intuitive ways to get users through massive email lists with the same connected and social-minded aspects of the desktop app. Polymail allows users to manage their Gmail, iCloud, Outlook, or other IMAP accounts, through the iOS app, which now syncs automatically with the Mac app as well.

One of the standout features of Polymail is its social networking angle, which has each user create a "Contact Profile" detailing their employer, location, and a brief customizable bio section. These cards show every interaction you have had with any particular person, letting you browse among email correspondence and attachments shared between one another, and even detailing when they read an email, and how many times, similar in style to Apple's Read Receipts.

In addition to contact profiles and email tracking, the app also provides features like read later, send later, and follow-up reminders, which the company points out as being mostly browser add-ons in the past, placing Polymail as the first major mobile and desktop app to embrace them. The service even allows users to un-send emails "within several seconds" after they're sent, making it easy to fix grammar and spelling errors that are recognized in the time window.

Following its debut on the Mac App Store, a few users compared Polymail to Dropbox's now-defunct Mailbox client, which has generated some positive word-of-mouth leading up to its release on iOS. Still, its email tracking abilities and robust permissions list have raised a few flags for some users. Although not speaking on the topic of security and privacy specifically, Polymail reiterated that its ultimate goal is in making "enterprise workflow as effortless as possible," aiming to lessen the gap between email clients "and the rest of the business applications companies use."

Those interested can try out Polymail for themselves by downloading the free app on the App Store today. [Direct Link] The company mentioned that a higher-tier "Polymail Pro" subscription model is gearing up to launch sometime soon, but gave no details on its price point or premium features.

Article Link: Polymail Launches iOS App With Contact Profiles, Email Read Receipts, and More
[doublepost=1469107930][/doublepost]I've been using Polymail's OS X and iOS client through BETA and can safely say it is the best email client I have ever used by far and believe me, I've tried a few!

The article above covers the nifty features Polymail has packed into the apps which together with the clean UI make the whole experience very pleasant indeed.

Would recommend you give it a go and would take a safe bet you won't be disappointed.....

That said, there is a downside, albeit hopefully a short term one. For the moment, iCloud accounts have been disabled due to what is claimed to be an Apple issue but resulted in the iCloud account being locked out or worse disabled during the BETA testing. I for one am looking for this issue to be resolved ASAP so I can use a single client to manage my Office365, Gmail and iCloud accounts.

Reactions: Keane16

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Yay another 3rd party email app for iOS! Because the last 50 have done so well...

MacBH928

macrumors 601
May 17, 2008
In all seriousness ,

what can this do that I can't with the default mail app on iOS excluding the GUI taste preference

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
It does look good and now the Mac version is in the MAS. Free does have me concerned about the intent with your data.

Stu69

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
London, UK
In all seriousness ,

what can this do that I can't with the default mail app on iOS excluding the GUI taste preference
how about...

- Per-Recipient Email Tracking
- Contact Profiles + Relationship History
- Read Later
- Send Later
- Undo Send
- One-click Unsubscribe
- Reminders on un-read sent mail

to name but a few, other than that, it's exactly the same as the default client...

Reactions: rodpascoe

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Does anyone know how well this interfaces with third party apps such as OmniFocus?

I’ve used CloudMagic for a while, which I believe has the best interface (for my tastes), but there is zero support for OmniFocus with their “cards” system. The Share Sheet extension is mediocre at best, as it is with most every other app with the exception of Dispatch. However, Dispatch’s holier-than-though attitude against Exchange support has kept me from even trying it. That’s unfortunate, because I’ve heard Dispatch’s OmniFocus integration is subperb.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Another email app that inserts itself between you and your mail provider and stores the access credentials to your account on someone else's servers with unknown security and privacy protections. This one also takes the liberty of inserting tracking bugs into your emails to implement the tracking system. No thanks.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Another email app that inserts itself between you and your mail provider and stores the access credentials to your account on someone else's servers with unknown security and privacy protections. This one also takes the liberty of inserting tracking bugs into your emails to implement the tracking system. No thanks.
Aha! I was wondering how the app knew that I read the test message that I sent from one account to another. I dislike read-receipts and hate secret invisible ones even more.

Reactions: S G

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Is there a way to block read receipts?
In this case, the read receipt is a transparent 0x0 pixels image inserted into the first line of the email. Your recipients would have to block all graphics or only read emails in plain-text format to block these.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Invest in your own mail server and domain with a static IP. I have no understanding why people spend money on these addon services, with Mail.app and backend services already built-in that can be extended with UNIX knowledge, all on their own dime.

You can scale up your Mail services as you need them, including Cloud redundant services in a co-location and on-site.

I hope Apple builds more of the iCloud infrastructure to act as a main node where your own business cloud storage can mimic and map within.

bronksy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2006
London
I have to say that every email app I've tried just brings me back to the stock mail app
Same here - biggest issue is that you STILL need the stock email app because email links and mailto links won't work with an external email app.

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
They need to remove the silent email tracking feature. It's unethical. If you want to know if someone has read your message ask for a read receipt. Be open and transparent; why be sneaky? I deleted the beta as soon as I saw it had this questionable feature.

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
Same here - biggest issue is that you STILL need the stock email app because email links and mailto links won't work with an external email app.
Not true, you can set it to be the default client. On IOS 10 you'll even be able to remove the Apple Mail app.
[doublepost=1469186006][/doublepost]
Invest in your own mail server and domain with a static IP. I have no understanding why people spend money on these addon services, with Mail.app and backend services already built-in that can be extended with UNIX knowledge, all on their own dime.

You can scale up your Mail services as you need them, including Cloud redundant services in a co-location and on-site.

I hope Apple builds more of the iCloud infrastructure to act as a main node where your own business cloud storage can mimic and map within.
What has this post got to do with Polymail Email clients for Mac OS and IOS?
[doublepost=1469186699][/doublepost]
Yay another 3rd party email app for iOS! Because the last 50 have done so well...
Have you tried it? I've been using it since it's Alpha launch and it's very very good, especially if you have multiple email accounts that you use.

Lack of IMAP is a bummer though.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
They need to remove the silent email tracking feature. It's unethical. If you want to know if someone has read your message ask for a read receipt. Be open and transparent; why be sneaky? I deleted the beta as soon as I saw it had this questionable feature.
Where was it phoning out to?

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
See i hadn't even thought of that. That should change in ios10 though right? You can delete the stock email app, it must have a place to select a default mail program.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
See i hadn't even thought of that. That should change in ios10 though right? You can delete the stock email app, it must have a place to select a default mail program.
You can delete the stock app, but you can't select another default app.

bronksy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2006
London
Not true, you can set it to be the default client. On IOS 10 you'll even be able to remove the Apple Mail app.
[doublepost=1469186006][/doublepost]

What has this post got to do with Polymail Email clients for Mac OS and IOS?
[doublepost=1469186699][/doublepost]

Have you tried it? I've been using it since it's Alpha launch and it's very very good, especially if you have multiple email accounts that you use.

Lack of IMAP is a bummer though.
How do you set it to be the default client in iOS 9?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.