polyurethane smartcovers are better

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by teddy bear jr., Mar 25, 2011.

1. teddy bear jr. macrumors newbie

i bought a polyurethane smartcover just because i was curious to see how they worked. the main reason i decided to buy a polyurethane vs. leather was because they're cheaper and i know i'm not going to keep it for very long once the folio-style cases start to come out, but there are a lot of advantages to the poly cases.

pros:

-they're cheaper

-the color finish doesn't bleed or wear off

-they don't show the creases where it folds like the leather ones

-they're slightly tacky so it's easier to hold. for anyone that hasn't held them, the leather ones are slightly slick and feel like they would be easier to fall out of your hand. how they feel was something that i was wondering before i got to see them in the store.

cons:

-poly covers don't come in dark colors

2. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

The lighter colored smart covers are irritating to say the least. I have the tan one and the darn thing has little "discolored" spots on it in the one corner already. I have no idea where they came from. I haven't spilled anything on it or anything. The polyurethane ones are pretty much guaranteed to stay clean and fresh looking. This leather must just absorb whatever it comes in contact with, whatever it was that mine touched >.<

3. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

4. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

How do you know the colors don't bleed?

5. glen e macrumors 68030

Poly does not bleeed as it is not dyed....its mfr'd with color in it....does your dashboard bleed?

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Well in my book, the black leather beats all others, leather or poly, for the simple reason that all the other colors are too light and will get dirty in days. My local BB has a grey one on display and it's nasty looking.

7. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Leather would probably be even worse in that type of environment. I returned my leather case because I knew it wouldn't be durable enough.

8. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Will the leather seats in my car bleed and rub off? They are black leather like my smart cover.

9. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I had the red leather cover and after a week it stated to get dark stains along it's edges and some spots in the middle too. I ended up exchanging it for a polyurethane one. I think the black leather will probably wear better, but the red got to dirty to fast.