Pondering A MacBook/Pro. After Some Brain-Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cretmeister, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Cretmeister macrumors newbie

So, I'm thinking about getting a Mac laptop. Aah, how I love my Windows PC*, oh yes. So I'll not be a switcher, more of a straddler.

All I'm wanting to do really is make sure I'll be getting something for the right reasons, that I'm not full of incorrect assumptions about Apple stuff, and I can get the best out of the whole thing.

So. Why a Mac?
    For all I love my PC, I also have to get down and dirty with it. Six months ago it decided to stop working and it transpired that it hated the soundcard drivers that I installed two months previous to it going "Bleurgh". Why? I have no idea. In hindsight, it was fun to have something go wrong that I had to fix, but it was for no reason, and it was a pain in the hole. Doing that with a laptop isn't my idea of a good time, especially if I'm halfway through a large coffee miles from my screwdrivers. And laptop hardware gives me the willies just thinking about buying it; "I need an X. But it has to be for a laptop. And it has to be no wider than Y. Or thicker than Z. And has to have a really low power drain."
    Macs, as is my understanding, are somewhat more stable, and there's more standardised whatsits going on, making a smoother ride for new drivers and hardware. Meaning I get less chance of it Kernel Panicking(That's right, isn't it? The Mac's version of the BSOD) and making me weep.

What do I want it for? Not too much really. Just a chance to be out and about and have a bigger screen and more funtionality than my iPhone, which I absolutely adore. If I have a laptop I'll get GIMP on it, and listen to music while on the 'net when out and about(as well as using it in bed when I'm after a lazy weekend), so I'll need it to keep a few things running smoothly. If I was just after Internet stuff, I'd live with a netbook no problem, but I'll be wanting a bit more than that. Oh and all right, I have a few games that are Mac compatable, I'll end up with one of two on there too.

Now. I'm a Windows user most of my life. XP now. Refused to get Vista. Seriously pondering 7 when it comes out. What's the learning curve like? I know it'll be different, and that's fine. I can learn. And I doubt I'll be dual booting because, really, am I that needy? If I need, really need, something to run on Windows, then yeah, but I'm not planning on it.

So. The real question is what do I get? The MacBook looks decent enough, but the MacBook Pro provides a little more oomph. The MacBook is £150 cheaper than the Pro, but the Pro looks so much nicer and has what appears to be an amazing trackpad. For my needs, would you say that the MB does the job, or will I end up with something that's just lacking after a year? How much joy does the fancy trackpad bring?
    And lets be brutally honest here; for what I'm after, is anything over £500 just throwing money away like some sort of mad fool?

And, inevitably, should I wait? I have a few options really: I go with various rumours of a price drop in September and grab something then; I go out within this month and grab something(Both meaning I'll have to get that payment plan thing. Mixed feelings on it. Could pay the remainder off by, ooh, end of the year, though. Opinions?); or save save save and buy around January, which is around the time they'll possibly maybe have upgraded the hardware and guff, netting me something a bit more powerful and a few inches more futureproof.

Arguably, I don't need anything so I could give my money to the poor and put off buying one for the next ten years, but I'd like something, so no "If you're willing to wait until X, then you can wait until Y", you cheeky scamps.

Aah, long post. Sorry. I ramble lots. Go me.

*Big beefy black monolith of raw computing power that I had made to my specs. Two and a half years and it still plays the latest games. Mm. Rats nest of wires inside it, sorry, I'm going off topic.

2. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

1. Believe me you will not be a straddler after a month or 2, you will have converted [​IMG]

2. You are correct about them being more stable and hardware upgrades/ fixes are much simpler as there is only 1 type if you receive my meaning?

3. A macbook pro will more then satisfy any of your needs power wise and as for getting used to it, it really takes no longer then a week, I even got my mum to use it [​IMG]. Even so if you can't do something on it, you have macrumors and you can PM me

4. Saying you won't isntall windows on it isn't a strong idea as I believe will all need a bit of dark side in our lives and you will realise some things actually NEED windows... Most don't nowadays but some things are just easier with windows

5. A macbook will be more then fine, but if the money is there, go pro just to make sure, however I don't think anything will really make the macbook quiver in its boots too much from what you say you will do

6. As for waiting, it really is a game I hate to play, Apple play their cards close to their chest and so you never really know when the right time is. That being said any mac you buy now is sure as hell futureproof for a long time. My macbook is 2 years old and my laptop is 3, the laptop is nearly in the bin whereas the macbook is still my main'ish' computer (he says typing on his imac)

7. As for not needing one. Do any of us really need one lol, treat yourself... It will make you happy...

I hope this helps and I'm sorry about the numbers, it helps me refer to things

3. Cretmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the reply. Here comes more numbers, whee!

1) I'm not sure about that myself; Windows-based PCs are in my veins. I have nostalgia for troubleshooting particularly hard problems, the sudden spark of inspiration when I think "Ah ha! Perhaps it's the RAM" and then being wrong.

2) Yeah, I catch your drift. Everything fits together like 100% Lego rather than a Lego brick, a Duplo brick, a Cornetto and a hell of a lot of glue.

3) Hmm. Bit more power'll always give me the ability to add more stuff down the line, should I want to do more. Always something to note.

4) I suppose, yeah. I was just thinking "Buying XP to occasionally use it on my Mac seems a bit much. If I need to do anything,my desktop'll do it".

5) I've been looking at the refurbs on the store, just today. I can get a refurb Pro for the same price as a new MB, which is just mighty tempting. Can't right now, which is a bit of a pain, but in a couple of months or so. And by then there'll be better deals on the Refurb bit. Maybe.

6) That's good to know. I'm just not wanting to buy something that's as much use as a chocolate teapot in a year's time. By the sounds of it, though, that's not too likely.

7) Well yeah. Nice things are always lovely to have.

As I said above, thanks for the info and such. 'tis appreciated.

4. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

1) Screw nostalgia. Best thing that ever happened to me was my in-laws getting a Mac. FAR less time troubleshooting their issues, and that makes them and me much happier. I work on PCs all day every day, and the last thing I want to do is go home and have to work on one again.

2) I left that in the quote because it makes me laugh :)

Seriously, get the pro. There are too many good things for another couple hundred bucks. Battery is amazing, screen is amazing (and LED backlit), the aluminum holds up better (do a search on macbook case cracks), trackpad is amazing, up to 8GB RAM, etc etc. Really worth it IMHO.

Refurbs are a great deal, just make sure you get the CURRENT model.

Just my 2 cents.

5. Cretmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

But problem solving's fun(Once you've sorted it out and can a) Feel smug and b) Retell the story to others ie. "It worked fine in safe mode...so it was obviously the graphics card or sound card... Or was it something that starts on boot?"). When Im out and about, as I said above, I don't fancy it, though.

Hmm. Pro, I think, is the one I'll be going for. And It'll be a refurb too, just to keep the cost down and get it into my grubby mitts nice and early.
    Making sure it's the current generation'll involve not much more than just ensuring the specs are the same as the new ones in the store, am I right? Or is there some really obvious code somewhere that I'm not looking at?

6. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Just make sure you get the one with the 7 hour battery :)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

"Pondering A MacBook/Pro. After Some Brain-Thoughts." Is there another kind of thought? Do you have elbow-thoughts, too? :rolleyes:

8. Cretmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

And looking now, an SD card slot.

Right. I've been looking at my finances and etc. etc. and I should be able to get something in a couple of months time. Mayhaps three just to be sure I'm not stuck without any cash for a week when bills are due and so on.
    Refurb's ideal(If I can get over my dislike of buying things online), but if there's nothing going then it'll be instore. The tragedy of a beautifully packaged brand-new product, alas alack and so on.

9. Cretmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Too much Invader Zim, I'm afraid.

At least I think it was in Zim. I might be wrong.

Meh, tautologies are fun.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is that something like tequila? scotch? bourbon?

11. Cretmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a cartoon by Jhonen Vasquez that I'm probably ten years too old to admit liking.