Pondering a MBA. Can it handle Final Cut 7 or ProTools

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by td2243, Nov 22, 2013.

1. td2243 macrumors 6502

Hey there,

I've only recently started considering getting a laptop. Do you guys think the 13" can handle Final Cut Pro or ProTools for recording. I was thinking about an iMac, but the portability is enticing. I would upgrade the ram to the max, and do the i7 model, but would that work for my needs? Thanks for the help.

Daniel

2. july142 macrumors newbie

will probably handle low track counts with Protools im sure but it all depends what vst you plan on running... video editing for me I leave up to windows desktop, but i also game on the desktop and mix music...I have the base model air just writing, web, photoshop, fireworks, and sketch work on ableton for music... i also paid around 1000 for the air so I'm getting for portability than performance.

3. td2243 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just saw that it can only go up to 8MB of ram. Definitely not meant for serious users. Thanks

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

FWIW, I run FCP 6 on a 2013 i7/8gb/512gb MBA with no problem.

5. lamar0607 macrumors member

i run FCP7 just fine on a 2009 iMac with just an Intel Core 2 duo at 2.93 with just 4GB Ram...the program is old so you don't need the high end systems. Also "your needs" vary massively so you'd have to elaborate, although it sounds like you jumped to the conclusion you weren't going to buy one.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Srs, I know guys that make a good living using only a MacBook Air. It is for serious users, just not for video editors.

7. Alekto macrumors regular

The CPU won't affect the track count. The SSD/HDD will. It's a PCie SSD. It does 700mb/s. That's A LOT of tracks.

Of course if you have a bunch of EQs and compressors on every channel, it's going to get bogged down a bit.

8. mrjohnnyglass macrumors newbie

This. I'm running Logic Pro X on my 2013 i7/8/128 and it's a solid, beastly device. I'm currently mixing a project that has 28+ tracks per song. And that's with a total of 68 plug ins per song. I'm able to monitor and render without any issues. It does get a little hot, but that's about it.

9. budgynana macrumors member

Pro Tools has now largely mitigated the need for fast local storage - not connected by USB - by caching to memory so 8GB might not be enough, but the ssd will make up for things somewhat.

10. electronique macrumors 6502

Thanks.. nice numbers.

Your post just confirmed my next upgrade will be an Air.