Pondering Ipod touch- what size?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by neogeo8, Sep 13, 2008.

1. neogeo8 macrumors newbie

Hi I'm new here, but anyway I am very interested in the new ipod touch 2nd gen, but I am stuck between whether to get the 16 gig version or the 32 gig version. I have about 6 gigs of music, 12 gigs of video, plus about 3 gigs of podcasts, and will probably be expanding a little in the future. If I got an ipod touch I would definitly be buying apps and games for it.
    So obviously I have more than 16 gigs of media, but I am open to switching out videos every now and then to keep it at 16 gigs. But another part of me wants to be able to have everything on the ipod at once ( I have an ipod video so I am used to that) So is it worth the extra 100 dollars for the 32 gig, or is a 16 gig very sufficient? If anybody currently does have more media than their ipod can hold is it annoying to have to constantly switch things from the ipod to the computer?

Thanks for any responses!:):)

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The best reason to have a smaller player than your collection is so that you have a reason to change out the media every now and then. The Touch gets a charge. You can use Genius to make new playlists now which might remind you of some songs you used to like but haven't intentionally played for awhile.

I recommend buying the 16gb from the choices you list. I personally like the 8gb. Use the $100 saved to buy 100 more songs.

3. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

16 is what I bought and it's plenty large enough for me. Went from a 30 gig 5.5 iPod video down to the Touch. I just didn't need to carry all of the music on there, and I do switch out things quite often (videos and podcasts especially). IMO the 16 GB is the better value.

4. Resplendent macrumors member

If you do a GB/$ analysis, the 32GB is actually the best "value" for your dollar.

8GB = .035 GB/$
    16GB = .053 GB /$
    32GB = .08 GB/$

However, I'd recommend 16 as well due to a more sane budget.

5. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

Get 32GB if you have the money then you can always expand. I for one like to have everyone on at once and I dont want to guess how I will fell a hour from now or what ever. I want everything there so i can chose my songs with out decidng and wasting time "hmmm should i add play list A or playlist A1. Both are Rock but one has a song from artst 1 and the other artiest 2. ahhhhhhh

If not then just get the 16GB. 8GB is to small if you are gonna add videos and apps to. takes up way to much space.

6. angels lust macrumors member

8GB is a waste I think. Especially considering there is only a $70 difference for twice the amount of memory.

At least with 16GB you can get more video, or apps on the device.

7. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

Exactly and the OP wanted to add videos, well a video alone will take up to a GB of space may be more, and that just one episode of a TV show, not counting a movie witch may be 1.5 GB

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I put TV shows on mine as well as music and podcasts - and 16 wouldn't be enough. Not a hugely heavy user either.

9. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

I went to a local run mac store today and played around with the new touch and I like it. The screen is finalaly the same contrast, resoluation ,as the iphone and the color and brightness hues match. (the old touch didnt). felt good in the hand...

10. neogeo8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses. Right now I am leaning towards buying the
    16 gig version and just deal with switching out some videos now and then.

Also, on average, how much memory do you normally take up with apps on your touch? Thanks

11. griz macrumors 6502a

I am trying to settle on 16 or 32 myself. I have a 30GB 5th gen right now but only use about 6GB on it. The usable space on it is only around 28GB. Does anyone know the usable space on the 16Gb touch? I want to figure out what I would have for free space after my current 6GB of use went on a 16GB touch.
    I'm sure I would be loading it with more photos and video podcasts as well as many apps.
    Would love to save $100 because I know that in 2 years if I am not filling it, I'm sure I will be deciding between the 64GB or 128GB model for $100 more.

12. klb028 macrumors 6502

I'd get the 32GB. You're most likely only going to have one, right? Why not get the best one you can? I just like to be prepared when it comes to having my media on an iPod. The more space you have, the safer you'll be. :)

13. griz macrumors 6502a

Decided on the 16. I think I made my own case by realizing that saving the $100 and spending it later on a larger one makes more sense.
    If I sell the 16, 2 year from now for even $150, I could take the $100 I saved and put it toward a 64GB which will probably be $299.

14. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

On a first gen 16gb it has 14.6 GB free with 2.1 installed. Right now, I have 3 movies, 86 music videos, 29 apps, 970 pictures, and 1630 songs, and I have 22.5 mb free. So there is about all you can hope to fit on a 16gb. Now, I am just trying to figure out where I can pull $400 out of in order to get a 32gb. :D

For the OP: That is similar to the amount I have in my library. I have about 30gb of video, 12gb of music, 300mb of Podcasts .5 gb of Apps, and 5gb of Photos, but I do not need or want to carry all of it. My collection before my iPod touch consisted of about 2gb of music, 15gb of video, no podcasts, no apps, 2gb of photos, but it has exploded since then, and I am glad I chose the 16gb over the 8. Since you have a choice between the 16 and 32, if you have the financial means, by all means, go for the 32, but remember that you may also want to purchase a protective, scratch resistant screen cover and a case, so leave room in your budget for those things. Also, if you give your old iPod back to Apple, they will give you either 10 or 15% off your purchase, so you can save tax and possibly half a case on the 32. Remember that you do not need to have all your stuff with you at all times. Will you really watch or listen to that news podcast from 5 months ago? Do you need to have that movie that you didn't really like? Will you watch the first season of that show all the time? Do you need to have your Christmas music all year round?

As a rule of thumb, I try to give myself at least 3gb of space on a new iPod, because I know there will be stuff I won't put on it eventually, and my library will grow as well. Having said all that, I came from a dying 30gb 5g iPod that wouldn't hold a charge for more than a half an hour away from a plug, which I was using only 10 or so GB of to the 16gb touch, and I started it out with only 7gb of content, so I could expand. Now, I am constantly switching out videos and music and hoping this iPod hangs in there a few months longer. 1 year of non-stop, everyday usage can really take its toll on an iPod.

Sorry for my rant, but I wanted to give the OP a bit of insight into his purchase. Nobody wants to spend $200 - $400 dollars without knowing exactly what they want.

15. griz macrumors 6502a

Well, I wouldn't have 86 music videos and likely only 1 or 2 movies.
    May end up with 1000 pics but will only have 500 or so songs. As for Apps, who knows.
    I might have some video podcasts, but it is easy enough to switch out those that get synchronized.
    Just ordered the 16, so I hope it is enough. I'll find something else to use the $100 for.