*Poof* Instant Sleep on PB 12"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Toppa G's, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I recently upgraded a couple of my coworkers' 12" PBs with new hard drives and Leopard and also upgraded my 12" PB to Leopard. They are both having problems where their computers will inexplicably go into sleep mode while they are using them - I watched this happen on one computer several times in less than 10 minutes. They seem to start back up from sleep just fine, it's just a bit annoying for the computer to decide to take a nap. Any ideas? My computer is just fine...:confused:

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

Temp problems? I believe there is a temp sensor for the HDD. I am not sure if its IN the HDD, or something that touches it or is near it. Maybe that sensor is not reading anything, and the OS is immediately sleeping it to prevent data loss/cool the drive down?

Install istat, and see what it says for temps.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Are you using 5400RPM hard drives? They run hotter and could possibly trip the sensor. All this is in theory mind you.

4. Toppa G's thread starter macrumors 6502

I told one of 'em to download iStat - we'll see what results. I think they ended up with different hard drives - one bought a 160 gig drive and one bought an 80 gig drive.I'm pretty sure they're both 5400 rpm, but I don't remember.