Poor 64-bit Handbrake speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joelovesapple, Mar 4, 2011.

1. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Hey everyone,

Am in the process of ripping a DVD to put on my iPod classic and am just wondering why the HELL is the 64-bit version so god damn slow? I downloaded Handbrake today so it's the current 0.9.5 version and my specs are in my sig. Am running 10.6.6.

Anyone? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. JPark macrumors 6502a

That's rather subjective. Could you give us an idea of how slow you're talking? Did you experience better speeds on the 32bit?

3. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Well I started this at about 7:15pm UK time and no, I didn't get the 32 bit version as I would have thought 64 bit would be better on Snow Leopard, as it's optimised for that environment, and my machine is more than up to the task.

It seems to have gone from about 45-50 fps down to 8 fps in the last 7 minutes of completing the operation.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sound like you've never encoded a video before. Try the same settings on both 32bit and 64bit version before wildly claiming a version is slow.

5. JPark macrumors 6502a

I have close to no clue what time it is in the UK (8 hrs ahead maybe?), and even if I looked it up that wouldn't tell me how long the total process took since you didn't provide a finish time. So, instead I'll give you a range of normal operation:
    My 2010 Macbook Pro 2.4GHz: about an hour or so per DVD
    My Bro's Mac Pro: about 12 minutes per DVD

I expect your iMac should fall somewhere in that range. If it is abnormally slow, you may want to check what version of VLC you have installed.

If it slowed down a ton right at the finish, you might check the disc for scratches.

6. GeekGuys macrumors regular

The previous post has hit the nail on the proverbial head. VLC needs to ne installed using the 64 bit latest version. It does not come with Handbrake. Also you must use the latest as the previous version failed miserably to work with 64 bit Handbrake.

Finally, i have found that using the iMac you have to make sure the disk is clean otherwise the performance will be degraded significantly.

Using a custom preset based on ATV2 settings but configured to work on all devices I own (Atv1, Atv2, iphone4, iPod, iPad) and on a 2008 iMac it takes about 80 mins per DVD. This creates approx 1.5gb file for a 100 mins film and includes 5.1 surround sound too at an average of 35fps.

How does your compare?