"Poor" battery life on 2 iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nasty devil, Apr 16, 2011.

1. nasty devil macrumors member

Hi there.

Don't you guys think that the battery life is a bit worse than the first iPad?

I had the first, now I'm on the iPad 2. I can see the battery level go down quite fast even though I'm just watching a movie or playing a game or browsing.

My Dad had the first iPad as well, as is using his iPad 2. He says the same.

Brightness is around 55-60%, bluetooth is off, just like how I used the first iPad.

Inputs?

Thanks

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Ok....?

So the iPad 2 doesn't last as long as your first iPad, How much longer does the battery on your first iPad last in comparison to your iPad 2? (is the difference measured by minutes or hours)

Also, are you running the same apps and have the same settings enabled on both iPads?

Different tasks (like playing graphic intense games or watching movies) will result different performances from both devices, so unless you are using both iPads to do the exact same thing, you can't accurately say one is better or worse than the other.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm sure you're just imagining things. Until you do some tests that show you're actually getting a lot less battery life on the 2, I'm sure it's nothing to be worried about.

4. nasty devil thread starter macrumors member

I don't have exact numbers obviously, but I do the same tasks that I did on my first iPad. Same apps and same settings. So far, I've had my iPad 2 for less than a week. I'm not saying it is a major problem with the battery that needs replacement (bad choice of words), but only that the iPad 1 is better, IMO, and according to my usage.

I agree, can't say accurately as we both have different usages.

But I guess because on my first iPad I didn't enable battery percentage and now I do, and I didn't know the rate so thats why :rolleyes:

5. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Apparently Ping majorly decreases battery life. Turn it off in the restrictions menu and your battery life should increase.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Increase by how much?

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

The battery life on my iPad 2 is pretty much the same as on my original iPad. Of course I've not done any scientific tests but I've not noticed any difference from my observations.

8. nasty devil thread starter macrumors member

I wonder why, even though I don't use Ping. I've turned it off, let's say what happens.

9. matt550 macrumors 6502

Mine sucks to, it seems my iphone battery last longer.

10. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

My iPad 2 battery life is amazing! That's all I can say. Compared to the first one.. I believe it is better. Even Engadget said so!

11. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Yes, I noticed it as well.
    It's definately worse. :(

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

somehow I really doubt this.

13. lionqueen macrumors 6502

^ this. I'm consistently impressed by my ipad 2 battery life.

14. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I use my iPad 2 exactly the same as my first one. My experience demonstrates battery run times that are very similar. I'm satisfied with it as it is.

15. nasty devil thread starter macrumors member

Question: Does Location Services turned on on a Wifi iPad drain battery? It doesn't have a GPS chip.

I've turned of the battery percentage to get my mind off the battery level. Maybe it'll feel it lasts longer :D

16. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I'm in the camp with people who are impressed with the iPad 2 battery. I'd say that my iPad 2 is a little better, when it comes to battery life, than my iPad 1 was. However, I will give the caveat that this is a subjective feeling and I have made no formal measurements to compare the two. But, I would certainly not say that the iPad 2 is any significant amount worse than the iPad 1, in my experience...

17. matt550, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

matt550 macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

Obviously a little bit of sarcasm, while it is not that bad, I don't get 10 hours of battery life, maybe 6-7 tops.

I have a wifi model. 50% brightness, no push, no fetch, no notifications, no location services, ping is off, Bluetooth is off.

WiFi is always on, web browsing and apps is all I do. 6-7 hours is all I get.

18. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

you must have a lemon. Mine last 10 plus hours daily. I got 60% brightness, push on, notification on, location service on, ping off, bluetooth off. I stream videos, browse net, play games, read emails, etc.

19. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Another vote here for long battery life. Never had an iPad 1 but the battery on mine is amazing, I get 10 hours plus which includes general use, surfing, gaming, watching videos etc. No specific thing seems to take the battery out any more than another.

I've always had Bluetooth switched off but only just switched off ping now due to what people have been saying in this thread.

20. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Some things obviously run the battery life down more quickly than others - GarageBand, for instance, takes considerably more than merely surfing the Internet - but for WiFi surfing it's definitely around about 10 hours.

21. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

As it sounds like Apple are using essentially the same battery as the original iPad it would seem logical that the more powerful iPad 2 hardware would run the battery down a bit faster.
    If that isn`t the case the Apple have done a sterling job on the iPad 2.

I certainly noticed an improvement on my iPad 1 after the latest iOS update.
    (not massive, but noticeable)