Poor battery life on 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Husky1992, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Husky1992 macrumors regular

Husky1992

hi
    I bought a refurbished iphone 4s 10 month ago. (it's not covered with warranty)
    the problem is that with my use, the battery life is dreadful.
    For example if I start using it at 8am at 2pm it's dead, after a complete charge at 11pm it's dead again. I have an intense use with gps navigation, music player, fb, whatsap, sharing photos and runtastic app.
    And I have a car charger and charge it everytime I get in the car!:confused:

I'm wondering if the battery life I'm experiencing is normal for a 4S or my battery is worn out (it has only 10 month of life!!!!).
    Is there a test I can run on the phone? Something like coconut battery for ios?

because my chances are to buy an iphone 5 and I don't fancy spending that kind of money (does this have a better battery life on the 4s?) or to buy an external battery for 70-80 €/$ and having the disadvantage of bringing this bulky thing with me through the day:eek:

2. zmon macrumors member

Ehh... Sounds a bit more that what it should be, but then again, running all that at once would kill it. I used to run Spotify almost all day in the car and it'd be dead around the end of the day. I could walk into the doctors office and play with the phone for 2 hours (web usage, games) and it'd be close to dead after I left.

3. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

this is what I did today (it has been a light use, without music reproduction, little text, 4-5minutes of voice call and some web navigation)
    my concern is that the battery should only have 10 month!

Attached Files:

4. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I think GPS is what is killing your battery. When you combine that with constant location services and the use of cellular data, all which are known to drain battery, it's bound to be dreadful battery.

However, your screenshot on the other hand, that kind of battery life with that use is not normal, IF you're using Wi-Fi at some points. Are you on cellular all the time? I recommend checking through your background app refresh settings and location services settings.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Because Apple doesn't sell refurb phones, am going to guess you got this from a third party.

I got mine from GameStop a year ago, and back in March, I was able to read the cycle count and it was already up to 400, and there is no way I could had put 400 cycles on the phone in 6 months, so they sold me the phone with a used battery. Search here the App (not coconut, don't have it top of my head) you can download to read the cycle count.

6. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

my location service are on, but don't they start when the application request for them? example I have location service "on" on facebook, I think that this service starts only when I open the fb app
    btw yes I am on 3g most of the time, although that was a medium-light day use

no, it was a refurb iphone from a broken one, I think...I might go and check it at the apple store, can they run a test?