Poor battery life with no service option?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Queen of Spades, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I've been getting poor battery life on my MBP for about a month now. I get like 90 minutes to 2 hours max with brightness down and bluetooth off. I tried calibrating to no avail, and finally I'd had enough and called Apple.

I still have 8 months left on my original warranty. The guy on the phone told me that unless I bought Apple Care for the extended phone support, he could not help me. So I said fine, should I just go into the Apple Store? He said no, they would refer me back to him and he still couldn't help me. So I asked him if my one year warranty included battery problems like I'd outlined, and he said yes, but that I'd need phone support. WTF?

Okay, that makes zero sense and I'm annoyed now with his endless loop of nothing. Basically I can't get a part of my purchase that's covered under warranty taken care of because I haven't bought Apple Care yet? That's ridiculous. Has anyone else heard of this? Of course, I always buy Apple Care for my products, but when I purchase it varies within the first year based on when I have the money.

I made a Genius Bar appointment, but I was really hoping to not have to go there today. Just wondering if anyone has some insight on this. Thanks.

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it sounds like you're going to have to go in. has it been more than 90 days since you bough the computer? cause if you havent bought apple care that is how long you get phone support. as for him saying that you shouldnt go back to the store is pretty odd. it sounds like he's just trying to get you to buy apple care. just go to the store and you should be set.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No, this is wrong.

The 90 days phone support does not apply to hardware problems. Insist on speaking to a supervisor or go to your local Apple Store. They will not refer you back to phone support.

If you have a hardware problem and you need to call for technical support, providing you are within the 1 year warranty period, you should receive assistance.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

exactly, davidjearly, like i said i think the guy on the phone is just being a tool. if you want you can try and call back and get another person, otherwise just bring it in. its probably easier anyway.

5. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I ended up going into the Apple Store. The genius did a check on the battery and determined it should be replaced. He gave me a new one right then and there with no issues whatsoever.

FYI - he said the guy on the phone was dead wrong and that he should have been able to initiate the service or at minimum help me set up the Genius Bar appointment. He apologized for his shady attempt to sell me Apple Care and said that's not what should have happened.

Just in case anyone else gets that crap story, ask to be transferred or call back and speak to someone else.

Glad to have my battery replaced without too much further issue.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it's too bad that customer support isnt perfect but there are those bad eggs out there. unlucky of you to get that guy. if you care and still remember his name you should call back and see if you can report him because that is just not right.