Poor Bluetooth connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stringtheorist, Aug 30, 2012.

1. stringtheorist macrumors regular

I run a secondary Mac (Mac Mini) in my house connected wirelessly to my primary computer. I have a standard Apple wireless Bluetooth keyboard connected to the Mac Mini which I normally use within 10-12 feet of the computer. I never ever have stable, satisfactory connection. The keyboard is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting making it completely unreliable and impractical to use. Is this to be expected when using the keyboard at this distance or could something else be amiss? Is there any way I can improve my Bluetooth connection?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Bluetooth is primarily a short range protocol although Class 1 devices can have a range of up to 100m. In practice most have much shorter range. It is not clear what class Apple Bluetooth peripherals are but most likely they are Class 2 so you are pushing the maximum range.

3. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

Could the batts be low?

also I use my bluetooth keeyboard in my living room and my computer is about 15 feet away from me.

4. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

Bizarre. I can't find where on my Mac it shows the battery life of my devices. It's not under Keyboard preferences. I'm using Snow Leopard.

----------

Incidentally, what good alternatives are there for a USB wireless keyboard? I get on well with my Logitech trackball mouse.

5. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

Its underbluetooth and then click on the device.

if not you can use Istatmenu to see. if its been a while since you last did it try changing them and see what happens.
    When my wireless keyboard and mouse start to bug up thats what I try first.

6. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

Incidentally, what good alternatives are there for a USB wireless keyboard? I get on well with my Logitech trackball mouse.

----------

It's not showing me the battery status, only says that it's connected.

----------

Ok, I found it in the taskbar. It says 69%.