poor bootcamp Game Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rayxzerox, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Rayxzerox macrumors newbie

Hi, so I've been having issues with certain games on my bootcamp side, which is running Windows 7 64 bit. In particular are Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim. I was recently having problems with Skyrim and decided to see if Fallout would be better, so I started playing Fallout new Vegas, completely unmoved, and I'm having the same problem. The game will run fine for a couple of seconds and then it will just randomly lag for a few seconds every so often. In some cases it seems like the game is running fine at the beginning and then it just starts this stuff up again. Even when the settings are at the lowest it just increases the base FPS but doesn't alleviate the random stuttering. I just recently updated all of the graphics card drivers and still nothing. And when I play it windowed and check the system usage it never seems to spike on memory usage or anything like that during the lag.

I have the Macbook Pro 15 inch mid 2012
    Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

I also have 150gb on the bootcamp partition and 50gb currently free on it. Also, whenever the game auto-detects to see what graphics quality to use they always set my computer to high.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. blooperz macrumors 6502

I haven't experienced those problems on either of those games but it sounds like it could be dGPU throttling if it's stuttering randomly. At least thats what I've gathered from the posts regarding throttling complaints.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

4. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I don't have those problems with New Vegas. Random crashes but never stuttering (though I don't play it at the native screen resolution).

This is possibly a driver issue.

5. Rayxzerox thread starter macrumors newbie

If that's the case is there anything I can do to stop this from happening/stop it from affecting game performance?

----------

I did recently update the drivers using GeForce experience and according to that I'm up-to-date on them now. I had it do the auto-check for what drivers I needed and checked a couple of them to make sure they were for the right devices, and since the driver update things haven't really gotten better or worse.

6. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Have you tried playing on an external 1080 monitor? Your GPU, which is not a beast, has to handle a big amount of pixels if you play on the retina display. Also, if you only use the Bootcmap to play, I'd try to clean it a bit and take out all the unnecessary processes running on the background. But over all, be aware of the temp of your mac, because as more hot it runs, more throttling you will get (over 90 degrees of temp in most cases, in my personal experience with my 13" MBP). Try to play over a metallic surface which will catch all the heat and will act as a termal dissipator (something like the aluminum of the mac itself, which is limited by its surface), or with nothing under the mac (not even the table, just rise it up with something)