iPhone XR Poor cell calls

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
No complaints about data but often when I call they can’t hear me perfectly. I am using Sprint. Think this is a hardware issue with my XR or with the Sprint network?

justint1989

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2017
No complaints about data but often when I call they can’t hear me perfectly. I am using Sprint. Think this is a hardware issue with my XR or with the Sprint network?
Might just be the Sprint network. I use the iPhone 11 on Sprint, previously a XS Max. Both have had VoLTE enabled. I noticed that if a particular area is experiencing degraded data performance the call will be choppy on LTE. I have run into that a few times, once while visiting NYC in April. Had to turn VoLTE off while in lower Manhattan. The others I live in the Chicago area and VoLTE can become choppy during a crowded event or extremely low signal.
The temporary fix: revert back to “LTE, VoLTE off” under cellular data until the tower goes back to normal operating conditions.

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Might just be the Sprint network. I use the iPhone 11 on Sprint, previously a XS Max. Both have had VoLTE enabled. I noticed that if a particular area is experiencing degraded data performance the call will be choppy on LTE. I have run into that a few times, once while visiting NYC in April. Had to turn VoLTE off while in lower Manhattan. The others I live in the Chicago area and VoLTE can become choppy during a crowded event or extremely low signal.
The temporary fix: revert back to “LTE, VoLTE off” under cellular data until the tower goes back to normal operating conditions.
Took it to the Sprint repair store and the problem was my life proof case as I was using a discontinued model that tends to block and muffle the audio on calls. Got a new case and everything so far seems to be working great.

Reactions: justint1989

jay968

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2019
California
Also, there is a noise canceling microphone right next to the camera lens. If this is blocked at all, audio quality will suffer. Make sure nothing blocks this mic, and make sure the phone is not held in such a way that a hand or fingers are not blocking it or coming too close to it.

ian87w

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Took it to the Sprint repair store and the problem was my life proof case as I was using a discontinued model that tends to block and muffle the audio on calls. Got a new case and everything so far seems to be working great.
That's an interesting tidbit!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.