Poor Colour Dithering on Default Profile

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarcBook, Oct 5, 2008.

1. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hello all,

Has anybody that owns the Santa Rosa (2007) MacBook Pro noticed that the already well-known LCD dithering issue (poor colour gradients etc.) goes away if you use the sRGB or Adobe RGB (1998) display profiles?

Also, switching to the sRGB profile (the widely accepted profile for photography, the Internet etc.) and rebooting (so that everything uses the profile) makes me realise how yellow-tinted the standard profile, 'Color LCD', is. I think the tint is there so you don't notice the difference between CCFL and LED backlit LCDs - LEDs give a far whiter and more realistic backlight colour, which at first may seem very blue (if you're used to the Color LCD profile) but is actually more accurate.

I get the impression from the above that the default profile for the MacBook Pro (at least the 2007 15.4") is awful, and is actually the route of the poor colour gradient issues.

If you have the same model and have noticed the problem, try switching to sRGB in System Preferences -> Displays -> Color ;)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's be well know that the MacBook [Pro] suffers from untrue color and poor dithering; yes expect it to get worse when you don't use the default profile.