Poor connection between Mac mini & wireless keyboard/mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dubv23, Apr 5, 2015.

  1. dubv23 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2015
    #1
    I have the Apple keyboard and trackpad hooked up to a 2014 Mac mini running the lastest stable release of Yosemite.

    The connection between the peripherals and Mac is very unreliable as the connection drops and the mouse skips or the keyboard misses keystrokes or inputs way more than I pressed.

    The keyboard and mouse are brand new and are used from about 8-10 ft away as the mini is connected to my tv.

    I've moved the mini around my entertainment center to try and achieve a better connection but it seems the only thing that works is placing the keyboard and mouse directly in front of the mini

    Is there a limit to their reach or is it something software I'm not aware of?
     
  2. hallux macrumors 68020

    hallux

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2012
    #2
    Are you using a USB 3.0 external drive with it? Some reported interference between USB 3.0 externals and the BT radio in the 2012 Mini, you may be seeing the same thing.
     
  3. dubv23 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2015
    #3
    I have both a usb3.0 disc drive and external hdd plugged in. I will test later to see if disconnecting these devices helps
     
  4. dubv23 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2015
    #4
    I unplugged both drives from the usb ports and the mouse and keyboard work great now.

    Is there a remedy for this? I have already plugged my hdd into my AirPort Extreme but does this mean I will have to leave my blu Ray drive unplugged?
     
  5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #5
  6. dubv23 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2015
    #6
    Poor connection between Mac mini & wireless keyboard/mouse

    While you are most certainly correct and that would be the obvious fix. However, I am using the Mac mini in my living room connected to my tv running a permanent wire across my living room is far from ideal.
     
  7. hallux macrumors 68020

    hallux

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2012
    #7
    OWC sells this kit for the 2012 model. I can not say if it would work on a 2014 model, maybe if you contact them they could tell you.
     
  8. Osamede macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2009
    #8
    But Thunderbolt or firewire adapter cables and plugs your USB stuff into that. This way your wireless keyboard and mouse can be used without interference from the USB 3.
     
  9. Osamede macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2009
    #9
    But Thunderbolt or firewire adapter cables and plugs your USB stuff into that. This way your wireless keyboard and mouse can be used without interference from the USB 3.
     
  10. BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2011
    #10
    I had the same issue, and it was the USB 3.0 drives fault. I first attempted to fix it by using an aftermarket USB dongle and putting that very close to the Apple wireless keyboard + mouse. That worked OK, but I lost some OS X features like Handoff.

    I ended up re-using an old CalDigit ThunderBolt station, connected to the mini with a 2M Thunderbolt cable. I put the dock as far away from the mini as I could, then connected the drives to the dock via USB 3.0. That took care of 99% of my issue. I think the other 1% of the time is just BT gremlins in general. It's not a cheap solution, but it works.
     
  11. LiveM macrumors 6502a

    LiveM

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2015
    #11
  12. hfg macrumors 68040

    hfg

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2006
    Location:
    Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
    #12
    This is an old thread, but for others seeking a solution:

    You might try better shielded USB 3.0 cables to your disk drives. I have also had luck snapping ferrite beads (available from Amazon) on one or both ends of my USB 3.0 cables to cut down on the radiation.
     

Share This Page