Poor download speeds on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nick67, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Nick67 macrumors newbie

I'm getting extremely slow download speeds on my Mac. It doesn't matter if I'm on WiFi or Ethernet, at home or at the office (both have very fast Internet), or what website I'm downloading from. I consistently get less than ~1Mb down.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013) w/ 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.

Does anyone have any tips or things I can try? This is beyond frustrating!

Thank you all for reading.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Your download speed is more dependent upon the speed of your internet connection, not your rMBP. Sounds like your ISP is throttling your connection speed. You're not using Clear (now owned by Sprint), are you?

3. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

You can try a different WiFi channel for your area. If you live in an Apartment with loads of people using the same channel things may bog down a bit.

You can change your DNS as well

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

You also may find it helpful to disable Bluetooth if it's active.

5. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Are there any other devices you have tried? If so, what do they get?

6. Cablekevin macrumors member

Change WiFi encryption from TKIP to AES if it's set on TKIP.

7. Nick67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Nope. My home Internet is fast cable and the Internet at my office is incredibly fast fiber.

The access points at my job are all configured and tuned so that channel switching is done optimally and automatically. DNS is handled through DHCP on an internal company server.

Other devices at work and at home work fine.

Impossible, I work in a corporate environment and don't have access to that sort of thing.

I don't think it has anything to do with how the networks are set up. I only explained that it happens both at home and at work so that it would illustrate the fact that I think it's something wrong with software or hardware in the machine. Also, it does this while plugged in to ethernet as well, not just WiFi.

8. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

9. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Run a hardware diagnostics check on it first. If nothing comes up, you might want to set up an appointment at the Genius Bar to have it checked.