Poor experience at the Apple Store in buying an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrownManUPS, Aug 14, 2008.

1. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I ordered my iPhone through AT&T and there is a 7-10 backorder, so I was getting really impatient and wanted to see if the Apple Store would have some today, seeing as they got a new shipment. Sure enough they did so I decided to go to the Apple Store (Indianapolis) and get one there, then just cancel my order from my AT&T store tomorrow and not worry about it.

So I went there and first of all I was not approached by anyone. I feel that as a customer even the greeter should say hello. That is in fact their job to say hi to you, even if they are in the middle of a conversation with someone else or doing some work. I went and found a blue shirt and said "I'd like a new iPhone black 8GB" and so she picks up her walkie- talkie and doesn't even acknowledge me and just asks for it and she walks away. So I waited and told my mom that I have never been treated so poorly but maybe it was just a small thing. About 10 minutes later I walk over to the lady who hasn't called me over and says, "I need your drivers' ID and credit card" and I said "Oh, why didn't you just tell me earlier I've been waiting" So she just takes the cards from me and I say, "I ordered a case from the Apple Store online and it should be coming but if you have it here I'd like to buy it now and cancel that order as well?" And she like goes lemme check and goes and finds it and I'm like great I'll take that if I can cancel my order. Pissed I guess, she walks back to wait for me while I go online and see. Since my order had already shipped via the online store, I can't cancel it. No big deal, I said to her, and so she takes off the case from the order (annoyed that she has to rescan all the items and delete one thing). If I were her I wouldn't show my frustration but whatever. I then was talking with my mom and she points out to me that AppleCare would be a good idea. I had totally forgot and the lady had not yet mentioned it to me so I said "I'd like applecare as well" and she really is frustrated and she walks to get it and come back and says "Okay is there anything ELSE you want" and I was really ticked now. My mom said that "I hope this isn't annoying and difficult we just want to make sure we make a good investment" and she goes "Oh okay, no problem". She tries to redeem herself but she is still annoyed so I quickly take my things and say good bye.

I immediately called a manager and told her everything and she was extremely surprised and said she would talk with her, but I am very upset as my Apple Store experience usually is pretty good.

Anyway, at least I got my iPhone 3G!

EDIT: Apple redeemed themselves later...read more on this page! Not bad customer service if you just shout loud enough!

2. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

next time be up front, I would have said "you know what I seem to be bothering you, I'll just go to another rep"...you're there spending YOUR money, so you should be treated how you expect to be treated, with some respect, you should never take that crap

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Congrats on the iPhone :) Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I haven't had a bad experience before at an Apple Store, though on my 2nd try at getting an iPhone, one of the Apple staff walked in for his shift and audibly muttered an expletive as he passed the line.

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

it sounds like you just were dealing with one of the "dud" employee's. For the most part apples staff is the best I have ever dealt with, no one has even come close, especially when my iBook was having issues not too long ago

Maybe you should make a complaint with the manager

5. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I agree. I have had nothing but great experiences at the Apple Store. I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience. I agree with the previous poster. You were there spending YOUR hard earned money. They are there to serve YOU. You should forward your experience to Steve Jobs and let him know how his employees treated you (sjobs@apple.com). :)

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

First of all, congratulations on your purchase! When I went to my valleyfair apple store, there were a bunch of ppl in there! little kids playing star wars and getting their greasy little hands on the 24" iMacs... Anyway, once I said I wanted to purchase, they were all over me, before I even finished the sentence. Generally, the sales people there are really kind and such. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, my first time there was totally awesome.

7. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

that sucks man all the apple stores around here are so good all the employees are cool and always greeting me when i walk in and ask if i need any help. even here in staten island (most ppl are mentally retarded) there non retards in the apple store here and are always helpful.
    espo

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

these stories will probably become more common as Apple store employees become more and more like assembly line workers, activating millions of iphones. it's gotta get tedious.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats on the new 3G iPhone, sorry to hear about the CS. I've had a similar experience returning a MB, but eventually the Store Manager took care of my concerns and invited me back for a "personal shopping spree!" :cool:

10. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

This is the only Apple Store in Indiana? Maybe my experience was better because there are 3 within 20 miles? Competition drives better customer service. I don't believe that though. Most Apple Stores are awesome. Again take my advice and email Steve Jobs. He needs to hear this.

11. trunkster macrumors member

Hmm, so AT&T got rid of the greeters? Cingular had employees specifically for greeting people while the other employees were busy with another customer.

12. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

We're talking about APPLE STORE not AT&T Store so idk about AT&T.

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

Wow, whenever I walk into the Keystone store, the salespeople are all over me trying to sell me everything in the store. I bought AppleCare one day for my mac and tried to register it on an iMac in the front of the store and within those five minutes, I was approached by six people asking me if they could sell me something. One guy even asked, in a serious way, if he could ring me up for the iMac. Whenever I've purchased something (especially an Apple-branded product), they've treated me like a god of some sort. Sorry about your poor experience, hopefully it gets corrected.

14. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

It used to be that teenagers or my age people wouldn't be hired simply due to lack of experience but I think with this being summer (still), they have some people just there for the money. If I worked there I would be pretty dedicated, as I love Apple and their products.

I did call the manager and she said she would talk with her, but I don't expect much more than a small reprimanding. I don't want to be an ******* but she really was not a friendly CS that I expect when I go in there normally.

Anyway, thanks for listening to the story. I really hope as a poster said above that Apple doesn't become all "assembly line" like most other stores like best buy or circuit city (where I used to work)...I think the best Apple experience is at the store most of the time, I just had this bad one and thought I'd share.

Anyway, I do love the new iPhone =).

15. customerservice macrumors newbie

wow poor frickin baby. you werent acknowledged? i wonder why... good thing you had mommy there to back you up. theres nothing worse than a passive aggressive customer who just has snarky replies.

16. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

Why does everyone here constantly complain?

The sales rep wasn't nice to you? Oh well- deal with it. The whole idea behind it is that you quickly get in and out so you don't have to deal with them...NOT coming here and writing a 500 word post about how you were not treated nicely. Be happy you got an iPhone...and stop bloody complaining- if you really feel you must, there are consumer forums out there, that are DEDICATED to this kind of crap. We don't need it here.:mad:

17. bluelondon macrumors regular

congrats on your new phone man.

but seriously, next time don't be so nice. store managers WANT to know how their staff is operating. next time this happens (in ANY store) ask the assistants name first, then tell them to go get the manager. then tell the manager how disappointed you are with the poor level of customer service and how the attitude of the sales person makes you want to never shop there again.

don't be rude to the manager however, but show your disgust at the poor service you got. if nothing else, that rude employee will at least get a written or verbal warning on their record, and if not that, they definitely won't be moving up the ladder any time soon.

never let a rude sales person ruin your shopping experience. i am now 29and learned this the hard way when i was a teen and put up with bad service over and over without reacting the proper way.

anyway, it's an isolated incident, most trips to apple i'm sure have been pleasant for all of us. enjoy the new phone mate.

18. bluelondon macrumors regular

what utter BS. this is discussion forum and we can talk about anything apple related. i for one am interested in hearing peoples experience with apple stores. so if YOU don't find this thread useful and think you and others should just put up with rude crappy service from apple employees, good for you, next time don't click on the thread.

19. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

apple has poor customer service at the store level from what I have learned from my experiences. some of theire employees are nice, bubbly and helpful but others, not being sexist but mostly the females, are just plain snobby and rude!!

20. appledrone macrumors regular

You are now actually complaining more than the OP and he had a vaild point.

why shouldn't he expect to be treated like a human being when he is making a fairly large financial commitment?

21. Karl40 macrumors newbie

There are some good store employees but most are duds more comfortable communicating in monosyllabic grunts.

Sometimes you have to raise hell. Raise your voice. Don't scream, but get loud. Slap your fist or hand on the counter. Apple is supposed to be "cool" and if you do this they will do anything to get you out of the store, including provide good service.

Many of you here are much too passive in the face of slights from Apple.

22. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Hey guys,

I know that some of you may think that I am being a bit annoying by bringing this up, but it is truly just for discussion. After all this is a forum and you don't have to subscribe to this thread.

At any rate, I wanted to tell you how great the store was at acknowledging my problem. After the manager (an assistant) had talked with me on the phone, I received an email from the store manager:

He called me later after I sent him my contact information and personally apologized for the poor experience I had received. He offered a brand new Apple Bluetooth headset for the phone, but I declined seeing as I already had one. He said that if you wanted anything at all from the store, however, that I was more than welcome to do so...and a manager would take care of it for me. I went to the store an hour later and sure enough, the manager (senior assistant) recommended me these headphones, and took care of the price!

Now that is Apple customer service!

23. TonyMil macrumors member

I always talk to management when I receive poor service at any store. I also talk to management anytime I receive exceptional service at any store. Especially Wal-Mart because it's darn near impossible to find anybody that gives shoot in that place.

24. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

hell im 16 years old and i always have good customer service at my apple store in in sherman oaks probably due to because they know me :p but one thing i did have a problem is with procare it just doesnt work and me and my dad explained to the manager what its supposed to do and well we got a 15% off card for apple :p i was also wondering how is it activating the new iphone i was un europe when this all happened so i dont know really. Oh and can you change your whole plan and what not in the apple store or is it better to go to a at&t store? Thanks :)

25. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

You can change practically anything online that has to do with your AT&T plan. It is quite easy and they prorate whatever you change. All you have to do is make an account which is, surprisingly, super easy.