Poor iPhone 3G call reception in NYC ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fab5freddy, Nov 1, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I am living in NYC and my iPhone 3G with AT&T is getting the
    worst call reception ever!

I am getting dropped calls all the time and really bad reception.

Does anyone else have any feedback regarding iPhones with AT&T in NYC ?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Unfortunately, AT&T's network in NYC just about sucks in many areas. Early on, there were a number of threads from area users who had nearly constant reception problems. After a software update my reception is better, but I have spotty 3G data service. I nearly returned my iphone I was so frustrated but its getting better. I chalked it up to a new 3G network and its associate problems.

3. mets1125 macrumors regular

When I first bought the iphone 3g I wasnt satisfied with the service. I was about to cancel Att and go back to vzw. After the update service has been a lot better. For the past month my service has been a lot better and rarely drop a call. On the data side it does get a bit slow in certain parts of the city.

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

can't believe nobody else has bad reception in NYC, or maybe
    nobody reading this lives in NYC ?

5. ForthRightAfter macrumors member

ForthRightAfter

I'm in Kips Bay and im getting good service no problems as far as signal.I do notice a drop in bars when im in the apartment but still strong enough to get 3g going fast.

6. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Is it just me or is there really
    poor reception with the 3G iPhone in NYC ?

7. bithacker macrumors newbie

I spend a significant portion of my time in NYC (mostly from around Water St. through midtown and up to about Hell's Kitchen).. so a good portion of the island really.

There is a few dodgy spots that I imagine is due to the buildings and such but I would say that is the exception. It works well for me and most cases it gives me about 4-5 bars in and around the city including in the buildings which sometimes knocks the bars to 3ish but still a good quality call on my end and no one complains about anything when I am talking to them.

8. jhoc macrumors newbie

I think it is more about the iphone than it is the cell network, although that obviously will have an effect, but hopefully not in major cities. I get no reception in lots of places in London and sometimes just moving a foot or going outdoors brings it from 1 bar gsm to full bars 3g.

I've had 3 other phones on 02 in my flat with perfect reception and now with Iphone I miss calls and it constantly switches between 3G E and Gsm.

I have to disable 3g for it to have a chance of working. great deal.

9. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

yeah, it seemed like the Edge Network had better reception ...
    at least here in NYC..