Poor iPhone 4 signal strength

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bschick, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bschick macrumors newbie

We live in an area with medium to poor signal strength. Using the iPhone 3G we average 2 bars. Call quality isn't great and some calls get dropped. It is not a wonderful experience, but workable.

I upgraded 2 of our family's phones yesterday and the iPhone 4 phones are getting either 1 bar or "No Signal". Call quality is terrible and many calls are dropped. At the same time, the remaining non-upgraded 3G is performing as always.

This is not a "death grip" problem because we've tried holding them various ways. The iPhone 4 phones also show low or no signal when just sitting on a table untouched. Holding them with the "death grip" almost guarantees "no signal".

I've read some opinions that the iPhone 4 simply displays the signal strength differently, but the reduced call quality and more frequent dropped calls indicates that this is more than a simple display issue.

Overall, we are rather unhappy with the iPhone 4.

2. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Time to get an AT&T Microcell. Just got one. Finally get reliable clear service at home!

3. bschick thread starter macrumors newbie

Just so much wrong with that... paying extra to solve AT&T's lack of coverage and the IPhone 4's apparently reduced sensitivity. Right after purchasing a new phone and 2 year contract.

At least the reduced signal gives me a way to get out of the contract if needed.