Poor iPhone-related AppleCare Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rogers106, Oct 30, 2008.

1. rogers106 macrumors member

Hey guys,

The other day I took my 16GB White iPhone out of its case for the first time in weeks and found two cracks in the side of the plastic. Having read about this problem online, I figured that I would call AppleCare to see about getting my phone fixed/replaced. I called the number because I go to school in Vermont, where there are no Apple Stores.

On Tuesday night (10/28), I went through the procedure and I was presented with two options: a) send my phone in for repair and be without a phone for 3-5 days, or b) pay $29 for an "advance replacement," wait for that, then ship my cracked iPhone back.

I made the decision that paying $29 would be easier than being without a phone for 3-5 days, so decided to go with that option.

This morning (Thursday, 10/30), I got the package from Apple. I opened it up and found a first generation 8GB iPhone with "AppleCare Service" engraved on the back.

Clearly, there was a mix up.

I called Apple and explained the situation.

Long story short: I spent two and a half hours today on the phone with AppleCare representatives. I've talked to five different people at varying levels of the management chain and nothing got done.

I was told that I need to return the incorrect replacement phone (they were very very stern about that) and that they would re-process the "advance replacement" order with the $29 fee waived. Sounds good to me...

They asked for a card number (so that they could put a $499 temporary hold on my card for the second time this week... btw, the first one dropped almost instantly ... which makes no sense), which was inexplicably denied. They told me to call my bank and see if there was some sort of daily limit. I called the bank, had everything re-set, and called Apple.

It was again denied, so I called Bank of America back and they said that it had to be an error on Apple's part.

I called Apple again. The issue was escalated and I was told there is nothing they can do.

All I want is my advance replacement for a 16GB white iPhone. Unfortunately, there are no Apple Stores in Vermont (as I mentioned earlier)... so I'm stuck with either a) being without a phone for 3-5 days or b) walking around with a defective iPhone (sure, the iPhone works... but I was sold a defective product).

I rifled off an e-mail to sjobs@apple.com, but I doubt anything will come of that. Just thought I'd share and see if anybody had any ideas.

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. Apple have replaced my defective black iPhones 4 times already. The latest iPhone has substantial light leak all around the glass, and the LCD is brighter and yellowish along the right side.

Each time I sent the phones in for repair, I received the replacement the morning of the second day without my phone. I usually would send them in on Monday, and receive them early Wednesday morning.

If I were you, I would almost have just kept the first gen. iPhone that they sent you. The previous iPhones were built so much better, and they look SO much better. On my fifth iPhone 3G, I would killl to have an original iPhone. I don't use and still haven't taken the plastic off of my last replacement because I want to sell it for an original iPhone.

3. rogers106 thread starter macrumors member

I actually haven't returned the first generation iPhone yet.

Also... if they don't have the "temporary authorization" on my card for the first gen. iPhone, do I have to return it?? :eek:

4. pintnight macrumors 6502

Great, more OCD drama. I have a small crack on my iPhone 3G (barely noticeable). It's not something for me to cry in my beer for. :rolleyes:

5. rogers106 thread starter macrumors member

OCD drama?

I purchased a high-end product (16GB, white iPhone 3G) and expect a product that doesn't do something like crack.

If you bought a BMW and two cracks randomly appeared on the side.... you'd be mad. This isn't any different.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Maybe I'm not getting this.

Why are you trying to exchange the temp phone instead of just going without 3G and 8 extra GB for 5 days?

I'd rather get my ACTUAL phone back quickly rather than futzing around over what the temporary phone is like. It's temporary!

7. pintnight macrumors 6502

1) I have a 16 GB iPhone 35 with a small crack

2) I did have a BMW (bought brand new in 2000 and sold it in 2006).

And comparing a iPhone 3G to a BMW is laughable.

So, yes, you have OCD. :rolleyes:

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I was wondering about that too... :confused:

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

cause the stubborn incompetent bastards at apple would 'insist' that he returns the 8gb first gen which they sent him. Absolutely stupid.

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I would hardly call the expectation of a purchased product to not develop cracks on it own (a pretty well-documented phenomenon) in the beginning of its lifespan OCD. It's actually kind of insulting to people how actually have OCD. ;)

P.S. I think you missed the point of his analogy. Referring to the iPhone as the BMW of cellphones is pretty spot on, IMO. Compared to the average Nokia or Samsung cell, I'd say the comparison works.

11. pintnight macrumors 6502

I wouldn't go so far to say iPhone as the BMW of cellphones. BMWs are NOT known to be reliable cars. With that analogy, the iPhones are not reliable cellphones.

The next BMW I'll get will be leased and get rid of it after 3 years to not have to have the hassle of constantly getting things fixed all the time.

Why I bought a Toyota for reliability.

12. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

lol@ a iphone being a high end product.

its not a vertu.

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

well, if you're splitting hairs, I wouldn't call a BMW a high=end car.

it's not a Bentley.

:eek:

Not to mention that the iPhone is pretty beautiful and Vertus are gaudy and heinous.

14. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If ya wanna compare the original iPhone to a car, I would say its a Aston Martin, but the iPhone 3G seems to be a BMW in that its expensive and flashy but it breaks easy.

15. James L macrumors 6502a

pintnight,

What value have your posts added to this thread?

It seems to me that we could cut them all out, and the only thing we would lose in this thread would be a bunch of negative comments that serve no purpose, except to insult those who actually do have OCD.

:confused:

16. pintnight macrumors 6502

Value? Hrmm, let's see, people crying over their iPhone over tiny little cracks on the case. I have one, but I'm not crying about it and demanding Apple to replace it. It doesn't effect how the phone operate.

17. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I don't care im with pintnight on this one

If people are coming on this board complaining about small things, then we have the same right to critique overly picky people

If you bought a brand new car and found out that there was a small scratch on the dash would you return it for a brand new one ?

the Iphone is 199 its not a high end phone, get over you OCD guys

I paid $400 for my old sony erricson when it first came out

18. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It's only 199 because it's subsidized.

19. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

shengliao001
    Banned

Jajaja, banned

20. James L macrumors 6502a

So basically you've contributed nothing of value then.

21. pintnight macrumors 6502

If you feel that I have not, great. Do I need to mail you a cookie or something?

22. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Exactly!

My MacBook has small cracks on it but they are on the bottom (as the cracks are on the back of the iPhone 3G) so I cant see them and it still works fine!

People who complain about tiny cracks should just chill and enjoy their iPhone 3G.

23. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I've been reading your previous posts , and you have a great mentality my friend

basically i don't understand why people complain about small ass problems that don't affect functionality

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I got my mind changed from a post a made ("Is the iPhone 3G build quality really that bad?")... I got to understand the "problems" where tiny things and its stupid to get all upset about them... This thread is a great example of that.

25. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

This!

I thought I'd read it wrong the first time; are the reasons above really what the 'mix up' was? Because as SWC said, I'd much rather use the temporary and get my own phone fixed as quickly as possible.

It's not like you're going to listen to 16 gigs of music in the time you've got the temporary, and surely 3g isn't that big a deal for a few days?

I feel sorry for Apple sometimes.