Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy0568

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
I just upgraded to an M1 Max Macbook Pro from a 2018 Intel Macbook Pro and I'm really disappointed with the Logic Pro performance. I keep getting huge CPU spikes where Logic is using up 50% of the CPU with only a handful of tracks and plugins running. I'm also getting cracks and pops on sessions that my last Macbook Pro could run no problem.

Have others encountered this? Maybe the settings need tweaking? This is how I have mine setup:
Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 8.55.24 PM.png

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I regularly run 50+ track productions in Logic on my M1 MBA with mostly Spitfire and Orchestral Tools instruments. I'm actually using my 5,1 Mac Pro more now, because of the audio interface I use (long story). But here's how I have mine set on the MacBook:
  • I/O Buffer Size = 64 samples
  • Processing threads = 8
  • Can't remember what the process buffer range is, I think it's NOT on Large though.
Play around a bit with some of those settings. But on my M1, which isn't even close to an M1 Max like yours, it runs better than what you're describing.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Sounds like nothing I've experienced with my M1 Mac mini running Logic Pro. My audio settings are similar to yours except I keep my buffer size at minimum. I definitely don't get any cracks or pops.

I have to guess something's going on with a third-party plug-in or something – in your situation I'd try selectively disabling those to rule that out next.

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Yep, could be an issue with the plugins you're using. Have you tried running Logic under Rosetta?

Andy0568

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, you're probably right that's its the plugins. The problem is, none of the plugins seem to be working that well. Fabfilter is OK, but everything else I use extensively (Waves, Soothe 2, UAD Sparx) I get pretty big spikes and CPU usage is awful. And I did a clean install for this Mac, so all version are up-to-date

I'll start looking into Rosetta, thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.