Poor LTE with iPhone 5 on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iAdamator, Nov 14, 2013.

1. iAdamator macrumors regular

Hey all,

Been having an issue with my phone that is driving me nuts. Not sure what can even be done, but thought I would ask about it.

I have an AT&T iPhone 5 with the most current iOS 7. My phone is constantly getting bad LTE speed. Often during speed tests, it will start above 30 MB's, only to quickly slow down to 1-2 before the test is over. I work in San Francisco and when I first got my phone around July, it was the first time I had an LTE phone and I was amazed at the speed. Now it's just often really bad.

I've found varies fixes but they are all only temporarily. Before long, it acts up again. I have toggled airplane mode on and off to sometimes fix it, I've turned LTE off and back on, did hard resets, and even a restore and the problem keeps coming back.

I'm thinking of taking it to Apple but my concern is that something like data speed is probably subjective, right? I fear they'll just say it's the area I'm in or something.

I don't know if this is an iOS 7 issue or what. Is anyone else having a similar problem with thier LTE speeds?

2. iAdamator thread starter macrumors regular

I really wish I could find out what is up with my LTE.

3. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Reset network settings.

4. Gcattaipan macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem symptom ever since installing iOS7. Toggling the FaceTime or the LTE settings alleviated the problem until I installed the latest version on IOS (7.0.4- 11B554a). Now the bug is permanent, a Network Reset will not work anymore. Looks like the network software is throttling LTE speed to the minimum no matter what. Now unlimited Data means nothing, maybe AT&T wants me to go to Verizon or Tmobile. After reporting the problem this morning, they sent me to the AT&T store to change the SIM card.... I will try this and report back if it fixes the problem... Although I doubt it will fix anything but burn and extra hour of my day.

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It could just be the area you are in. Not every area has great coverage on AT&T like some people on this forum will try to make you believe.

At my house, I get 0MB up and down on AT&T and Verizon. T-Mobile is the only one who can get me excellent LTE here. AT&T and Verizon have never had good coverage here in my part of Denver since 2007 for AT&T and 2010 for Verizon.

Other parts of town give me a maximum of 10.2Mbps down on AT&T. It used to max out at 40 when we first got LTE here in July but that quickly slowed down.

6. iAdamator thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to report back here but last week I got a new SIM Card from AT&T in hopes that would fix the problem. It didn't. Next, I went to the Apple Store and told them what was going on.

They did a one time replacement for me and I got a new phone. But I'm sorry to say the problem still remains. I've given up on resolving it for now. :(

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Which means it's the network….

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I few years ago I used to work with AT&T's support as a small part of my job (other duties as assigned). Anyway, I learned that if you call and report a problem they consider it your problem. If you can get another phone and reproduce the issue they become much more interested.

With that said, you should be able to push them into an explanation or resolution. They may be working on towers near you, or the towers need worked on. Or their capacity is insufficient. One of our offices had poor coverage so they "tuned" the tower to get us a better signal. I'll always wonder if it was at the expense of someone else.

You don't have to go far to get onto different towers. Go for a drive and see if you can get good results somewhere else. Make use of AT&T's mobile app and report the issues you experience.

9. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

Yep, most likely the network. It's not a problem where I live.

10. Gcattaipan macrumors newbie

Poor AT&T LTE with iPhone 5 after IOS 7.0.4 update

After 2 hour battling with AT&T support regarding this issue. They finally came out and told me what the issue is:

I have the unlimited data plan BUT, once I have crossed some magic threshold of data usage (I am guessing 5GB), my LTE speed is throttled down from 30Mbps to .49Mbps. I have to wait until the new monthly cycle starts, 3 weeks from now, to use the Safary browser as I am used to using it.... with a 30Mbps speed. The lady helping with the issue said that AT&T has now decided to to choke its LTE speed down to a crawl for unlimited data users like me because they cannot longer afford to let me use both unlimited data and high speed.... I am guessing that the network change came in ios 7.0.3.

Guess what...? I am now trying to get out my 2 year contract to move to an acceptable phone company but I am told I must paid an early cancellation fee to do so..... I guess, fee or not, Tmobile here I come.... AT&T just lost a 12 year customer. Unlimited data no longer means fast unlimited as in the past!!!!

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Um... where have you been? This has been the case for over a year now. With an HSPA plan, it's 3gb then throttled. LTE is 5gb then throttled. It's largely area dependent though. I haven't been throttled in the Boston market for a few months now and have been over 5gb often.

If you really think that T-Mobile is superior because they offer "faster" speeds, then good luck to you. Prepare to be let down right now. They barely have any LTE up and they have been caught using a stringent QoS recently. Throttled when trying to stream videos, download large files, download apps off iTunes, etc.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1814258-Data-being-throttled

Let's not even forgot how spotty their "nationwide 4G" network is also.

and no, they won't let you out of your contract because you weren't up to date with this news about throttling.

12. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Agree. Not in my area either. Tried T-Mobil for one day, and returned to Verizon. T-Mobil was terrible for data, and the two calls I did make were crackling and broken up. Some T-Mobil customers are getting good coverage so you better OP get someone in the T-Mobil family to share what they are getting in your area first.

13. iAdamator thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe. But one day at work I did a speed test with my iPhone 5 and a co-workers iPhone 5 both on AT&T sitting next to each other. At that moment I got less than a 1 mps, while he was getting 25+ simultaneously.

----------

I don't use the AT&T app. How can it help me? I mean, what does it do?

----------

I'll be damned if it isn't possible this is happening to me. I do have a grandfathered data plan. And there are times my speed is fast as can be. The last few days for example, it's been fine. Go figure.

Edit: Or Maybe not. I just checked my current usage for this cycle and I'm at 11 GBs. But like I said, my speeds have been great the last few days while at work in SF.

14. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Amen. On ATT, i never got more than 3-4Mbps on HSPA+. The Carrier settings in your phone will always have your phone default to a 4G signal with 4 bars vs an LTE signal at 2 bars.

15. iAdamator thread starter macrumors regular

My speed has been crap again. Been thinking this whole time my issue is I am simply being throttled. I've used 8gbs this month. My cycle ends in 2 days. I wonder if my speeds will get magically better then.

I don't ever get those "You are in the top 5%" text messages from AT&T. Did they stop doing that?

16. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Other parts of town give me a maximum of 10.2Mbps down on AT&T. It used to max out at 40 when we first got LTE here in July but that quickly slowed down.[/QUOTE]

As more people enter the network the speed slows. Keep in mind when 4g/LTE first came out not many people had it but now more than 1/2 the cellular phones are 4G

17. blarivee macrumors 6502

Does your co-worker also have unlimited data plan? AT&T throttles unlimited users. If you are in a heavy metropolitan area they will enforce throttling.

The Mark the spot app helps if the area you are in have poor service. Not so much for throttling, which I suspect since your co-worker doesn't suffer from the same problem.

18. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

The throttle starts at 5gb. It doesn't get more clear cut than this. I don't understand why OP is having such a hard time understanding this.

19. alent1234 macrumors 603

try it at 3am on top of a hill like most of the speedtest screenshots on the internet

20. iAdamator thread starter macrumors regular

Who says I'm having a hard time understanding this? I didn't know that this (Throttling) was even my issue until very recently. Now that I know it is, I understand perfectly.