Poor Mac to Exchange server advice pre purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tintop247, Jul 1, 2010.

1. tintop247 macrumors newbie

I am a relatively happy switcher from pc to mac. However, my biggest concern was that I would be the first to switch in my small (15 people) company and hoped to get all to switch at some point or other and so compatibility with our Exchange server was an absolute must. Long story short. After repeatedly asking the compatibility and useability question in Apple Store (Milton Keynes) and Apple Store (Regent Street) and to sales over phone, I went ahead. Net result was that I had to buy Entourage (£440) and then had problems getting connection to our 2003 Exchange server. I even asked the question specifically about 2003 Exchange server.

Whilst I am blissfully happy with machine. I do feel misled during the sales process, not necessarily by intent to deceive, probably more a case of ill informed.

My MD is about to replace their machine. I want them to get mac but macs are now perceived to be 'expensive' and awkward.

Did I really need to buy Entourage?
    Is my best advice to say stay with pc or switch?

Thoughts?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Apple specifically states that only Exchange Server 2007 is supported in Mac OS X.

Yeah the advice given to you was incorrect but it was all there in black and white for you to see for yourself.

3. tintop247 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bugger

I know I know, I made the mistake of believing someone (3 people actually) who are supposedly informed and expert rather than rtfm.

Expensive lesson. :(:(

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I do think you were ill informed. Office for Mac 2011 is out soon and they did not tell you. Were they not aware?... if not, they should've been! Whatever the reason, that's a steep price to pay for Entourage. What I would do is try and get your hands on the Office 2011 beta and giving this a go. My research tells me the feedback to the Outlook component is very positive, but I'm not sure if any of the testers are testing against an exchange server though.

As you're the first to go Mac (which isn't a bad thing), at least you can do all the integration testing where integration into Windows Server Active Directory isn't a problem.

I think your problem is how good are the staff at embracing change? Does the company software audit indicate that it is safe to go straight across to Mac? Would this change add value to the company? Is there a change management strategy and plan? If there isn't, you can end up in a right mess even if the company is small. There are so many things to consider.

With the 'expensive' tag, what you need to look at obviously how much the cost will be in terms of hardware and software, but also on the level of support you can get over an 'x' number of years.

Also bare in mind how computing equipment is treated in the workplace. You would generally find that people take less care of company-owned equipment than their own personal equipment.

Switch or stay? That's really up to the requirements of the individuals' job functions and tasks. Note: Users' 'wants' is different to users' 'needs'.

Oh! You might want to consider moving off Exchange 2003 as support may be finishing if it hasn't already so upgrading to 2007 wouldn't be a bad idea. Remember to replicate and test, test, test before implement. ;)

5. tintop247 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks v much BigJobby, I think its a case of sit tight and enjoy my mac for now. We're not a big company so I will wait until we have decent server.

many thanks

Tintop

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I use both Entourage and Mac Mail with Exchange server 2003. It's a matter of server configuration. Entourage uses webdav, so you must have the Exchange server configured to support webdav. Mail can connect to Exchange 2003 using imap, but again, you must have Exchange properly configured.