poor man's growing media and backup plan

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dork420, Mar 22, 2010.

1. dork420 macrumors regular

Hey all

So I am running an early Core Duo iMac and have about reached capacity on my internal hard drive. I am about to enter into the world of video now that I have a little baby on the way. Needless to say I will be broke for awhile and need to safely add storage capacity to my growing media
    I have about 100GB music
    80GB photos
    Carbon Copy Clone on a 500GB External Hard drive

My plan is to use that drive for my music library and buy another 1TB drive, partition it, and use it to both clone my mac drive and back up my external music library.
    I also have all my media backed up on to DVDs

Am I missing anything? I know it's pretty basic but it's all I have the cash for at the moment. I would love to do all this drobo stuff but it ain't happening for awhile.

Thanks for any advice

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I am kind of thinking some of that stuff now. I had thought about doing that--using a 1TB drive and partition it for use by Super Duper--and then use the other partition for storage but decided against that. I had another 500G drive that had assorted things on it and decided to transfer those to the 1TB and then use the 500G for Super Duper. Just my feeling that I would rather not tax a clone drive with anything else--but of course if you don't have an extra drive nor the money to buy one, I would expect your idea to work.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

4. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Good storage facility and not to expensive, me and a few pal's use these, mines got 2 x WD caviar black 1tb drives in Raid 1 configuration, and it's sweet, I mean freed up a couple of bays in my mac pro for RAW file storage,

D-Link NAS Storage device

plus there is the ability to use it as an itunes server.

well worth the outlay :)

and good luck for when the baby's here ;)

5. dork420 thread starter macrumors regular

can time machine back up both the internal drive and my 500GB onto my 1TB backup drive. This would avoid partitioning.

6. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

suspect vids will soon fill all storage.
    can you manually sync a copy of pics&music on internal drive to external?
    for the other stuff, use a backup app to selectively backup docs and custom files (bookmarks, for example). those backups shouldn't need much space.