Poor/no wi-fi for Mac Pro, your advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chakosticks, Jun 2, 2008.

1. chakosticks macrumors member

I have my Mac Pro in my basement recording studio with my Airport Extreme Base Station (the previous generation without an external antenna) up in my sister's flat, two floors up and on the other end of the house. I have no problems with my G4 getting a strong signal in the exact location that my Pro is in, in fact it always gets 3-4 bars on the menu bar signal strength meter. I mostly get 1 bar on the menu meter or no signal with the Pro. Due to space restraints the position of the Pro is not up for debate.

I installed the APX card in the Pro myself (using very helpful instructions posted on this forum) but I don't think that's the issue...I got two bars when I initially had it on top of the desk and just yesterday I installed 7 of 8 software updates before I lost the signal 50MB into a 57MB Java update.

Here's what I think my options are, all are in the same general price range (including used/reseller/ebay), I'd like some constructive advice if possible.

1. Get another Airport Extreme base station (802.11g) and use it to extend the range of the main base station. Can be done cheap - around $50 or so for the same model. Probably would go for a model with an antenna port though just in case.

2. Get an Airport Express to extend the range. A slightly more pricey solution ($69 used), not sure if it will perform as well as a full-fledged base station though. It has 802.11n, but Air Tunes isn't really appealing to me...I'd rather plug an iPod into my stereo than have to run downstairs to change songs.

3. Get a USB wi-fi dongle thingy, the kind with a cradle and cord for positioning away from the Pro. Kind of redundant since I already have the APX card installed, but the ability to position it in various places might assure a strong signal. Could potentially swap it with other Macs too although I have Airport in all of mine right now.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation with a positive resolution or does anyone have any different thoughts on how to proceed?

2. remmy macrumors 6502a

I bought a mac pro without the wireless card originally (was going to connect it direct to the router but then change of plans)

I found it difficult to find usb devices which were compatible with leopard, then one I did seemed to may the computer have kernel panics.

In the end I got a belkin gaming adapter which connects via the ethernet.

Personally I would extend the range but I do not have experience with either device.

3. dchao macrumors 6502a

The location of the wifi antennas on the Mac Pro are really awkward, it's located down the bottom of the case and it's covered up with a label of a list of approvals. You've got 2" for the wireless signal to squeeze out between the MP case and the floor.

Both options (1) and (2) should work for you. And then just set up WDS and use ethernet cable to connect to the MP.

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace