Poor O2 Network Coverage Revealed - UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by m477h3w, Jul 8, 2009.

1. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I think we already knew O2's coverage was slightly lacking in places, but this article shows it is worse than I thought - Link

Looks like Orange has the best coverage :mad:

2. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

In my experiences, Vodafone have always had the best coverage. Statistically (in 2008 at least when I worked for them) that was correct.

I left them to move to O2 and am very disappointed at the coverage in some areas...only in central towns and cities do I seem to get full 3G coverage...luckily there's wifi everywhere else.

Orange signal was poor too - I guess they all have their good areas and poor areas.

3. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

The maps are (possibly) misleading.

The orange map shows 'internet' coverage, whilst the O2 map shows 'broadband' coverage. Does that mean GPRS vs 3g or is it just The Sun being their usual wonderful selves in the relm of reporting?

4. m477h3w thread starter macrumors 6502

I see what you mean, I just assumed The Sun was using different words for each picture, but meaning the same thing. Quite misleading though :rolleyes:

5. cw2k7 macrumors member

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I read somewhere that O2 and Vodafone have entered into a tower sharing agreement so hopefully O2's coverage will improve shortly...

7. phannon666 macrumors regular

Personally I've had a good experience with O2 in terms of coverage, Vodafone were fine too and I suffered a bit when I was on Orange. But I'd happily trade a bit of coverage for decent customer support, which is what you get with O2, and Vodafone/Orange lack. I can't speak for 3 and T-Mobile.

As for increasing coverage, I work for a company that manufactures and sells base stations and repeaters, for cellular and many other purposes. Sometimes it's just not practical. The main issues being planning permission, NIMBYs and the cost trade off of installing a new base station/repeater where only 3 people live and the amount they'd earn in a rural area... simple economics.

8. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

I live in Central London and although I have perfect phone reception (5 bars) I have no 3g access on my iphone. Have tested it on 3g and 3gs phones but no luck. 1/2 mile down the road and its fine.:):)

9. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I've been on O2 contract for years but recently changed to Orange and got the Nokia N97 and i must admit, Orange's mobile network is much much faster and seems a lot more reliable, i travel between Manchester and London so probably two good areas for signal but even still my O2 struggled to get GPRS in the hotel i usually stay in.

10. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Apparently this is true.
    We are looking to purchase quite a few iphones for work and the regional sales manager told us this.

No wonder he didn't complete my request at the second meeting of me asking him to produce a map of areas where O2 "struggle" with data coverage.
    Mind you, I think these maps can look misleading unless overlaid onto a an actual road network map, chances are all providers may be ok unless you are based out in the "sticks".

11. spinalman macrumors newbie

If you are watching the Ashes at Lord's you won't get a call in nor out. The O2 cell network is in meltdown... probably all the iPhone users watching the cricket with the ECB Cricket score app running continuously....

12. ronnyuk macrumors member

3's customer support is about as worse at it gets, O2 is actually pretty good, and Vodafone, a typical 3 phone call goes something like this :)

"Good Morning Sir, I'm calling from Internet Service Providings to a Provider that Provides faster service of Internet Service Providings than your current Provider".

13. wazza12345 macrumors regular

This person speaks the truth. O2's customer service is about as good as it gets these days in my experience.

14. ajthomason macrumors 6502

General coverage isn't as important as specific coverage... what I mean by this is that I don't care who has the best coverage statistically when they don't cover my house.

O2 and Vodafone are the only networks that give consistent coverage in my house. Orange works if you leave the phone by a window and the others just don't work at all.

15. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I'm afraid it isn't - there is an existing agreement to share cabinet space in some tower cells between Vodaphone and O2, and this is in the process of sharing some equipment now too. But not the actual radio towers, just things like air-conditioning units and power supplies.

Nice cost savings for the networks, but this was presented in the media as having any reception effect whatsoever, which was totally wrong.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/vodafone_o2_fud/

Phazer

17. garybUK Guest

garybUK

HAHAHAHA Free Ring Dings!!

18. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Oh dear, so it's worse than I initially thought... WTG Telefonica O2.