Poor performance after 10.7.1 update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by technopimp, Aug 25, 2011.

?

Has your 2011 Air seemed less responsive after 10.7.1 update?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  1. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I have been really busy and hadn't had time to sit down and apply the update until Tuesday night. I let it install and didn't really think about it. Ever since then, however, the performance on my 2011 13" Air has been very poor. Everything feels much more laggy and slow-Expose/mission control/whatever is very jerky, switching between apps takes more time, even expanding menus is not smooth anymore. Also, watching CPU performance, before if I had FireFox open (Flash is NOT installed) with nothing else running, I'd be sitting maybe 1-3%. Now, it's going from 5-10% on average, and just while I'm typing this it's at 20%. As a result, CPU is running hotter and battery life is worse.

Has anyone else found similar issues after applying the update? I'm not sure if there's a way for me to "reapply it" or if that would even help. I haven't done a PRAM/SMC reset yet, just wanted to get a reading on what other people are experiencing. (This is NOT a fearmongering/recall/OMG Tim Cook ruined my MBA!!! or any other sort of thread, I'm just asking a question before I go any further). Thanks!

2. jsevart macrumors newbie

Same Issue

I am having the same issue with the poor performance. After the update, safari runs really slow and my macbook pro gets incredibly hot. It keeps showing high cpu usage for the kernel_task process. This is really frustrating. My fiancé has an older macbook (white) that has 4 gb and is running lion 10.7 and her computer runs fantastic. My MBP has 8 gb ram and will barely run any programs.

3. autofree macrumors newbie

Does restoring files with time machine restore the OS version?

I was just about to post the same thing. My wife's macbook air got update to 10.7.1 last week, and she's been complaining about it the lag ever since. The worst is how the mouse is unresponsive for a few seconds. That's not a little lag, but alot.

I will be reinstalling 10.7 and using time machine to restore her files. Will retoring with time machine restore the OS to 10.7. 1?

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I have not noticed any slowdowns on my MBA since the upgrade and I've been doing a pretty fair amount of work on it.

5. sloan47 macrumors member

I haven't noticed any slow downs on my 2011 13" Ultimate. In fact things seem to be running a bit smoother since the update.

6. rompelstilchen macrumors newbie

same issue

Hi,

I've got exactly the same issue.
    It's just awful !
    My brand new mba 13 just become sluggish since the update.
    Did you find any solution ?

7. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope...13MBA continues to be a dog. Graphics/animations are choppy at best (and a slideshow at worst), having more than 1-2 apps open slows it to a crawl, have to hard boot it at least every 2-3 days as it becomes totally unresponsive. I haven't had any time to take it to the Apple Store (as it's an hour away) but I'm going to have to since I can't continue to use this to do anything productive. If they can't fix it, I will be forced to go to something else. My 2009 MBP with a C2D performed better than this.

8. rompelstilchen macrumors newbie

Argh ! Don't say me that, I've just buy mine a week ago.
    To try know what is the matter, are you a developer ?
    I've also recently install MySQL Server, Xcode and startup my Apache2 on it ?
    Have you install any recent program ?

Like always (even on my iMac 2011), dropbox can be sucking cpu but beside that ...

Hugues

9. rompelstilchen macrumors newbie

Solution

Hi,

Check your console (/Applications/Utilities/Console)

My keychain was broken.. I've to run keychain assistant first aid !
    And zoom ! back for a fireball macbook air!

Keep me posted !

10. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble following you...are you saying that running first aid on your keychain helped with this issue, or caused it? And if it's the former, how did you make the determination that the keychain was the issue?

11. rompelstilchen macrumors newbie

Keychain FirstAid resolve my Issue.

In fact, I realize that a abnormally slow computer is often due to extensive logging.
    So, in my case, after upgrading lion, my keychain want crazy and every seconds I had a log in my console about it.
    After fixing it, everything want smoothly again.

What do you have in you console ?
    Any message that come often ?

Hugues

12. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to let everyone know that after following someone's advice in another thread related to poor animations on the MBA, I did an SMC reset and the difference is night and day. The entire computer is now performing super fast and smooth. Even disk access and browsing folders is lightning fast compared to what it was after the 10.7.1 update. I have no idea what the SMC reset actually did, or why it would "fix" this, but it absolutely 100% fixed all of my issues.