Poor performance and bad video, but passing all diagnostic tests?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robertparker, Jan 20, 2016.

1. robertparker macrumors newbie

A week ago, I took my MacBook Pro (2011, 17-inch) to the Apple Store for the GPU issue.
    https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Apple ran the video test and it passed.

Apple later ran other diagnostic tests on it and it supposedly passed all the tests, but I was told today that there's my laptop is "running very slowly", but that Apple does not know what is causing the issue since it is passing all the tests.

Apple then told me that the issue could be with the with the logic board and that it would cause ~$800 to replace the logic board.

I called Apple Support and I told Apple Support that Apple Store told me that my computer is running slowly, but that it passed all the diagnostic test. Apple Support told me that I am not qualify for a logic board replacement under the video issue recall since it passed the video test. "It could be some other problems unrelated to the GPU".

I don't know what to do anymore. Apple clearly don't want to fix the issue that it has already acknowledged.

I refuse to buy another product from Apple until Apple fixes my defective laptop that I paid $2700 for.

2. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Make Time Machine backup, wipe laptop clean and do fresh install of OS X, problem persist?

Activity Monitor doesn't tell us anything?

Did the geniuses give any hints? Or they just had no idea?

I mean, diagnostics test hardware, and if that is fine, it's gotta be software. Is your MacBook unexpectedly restarting as well or just running slow?

3. robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

I took out my hard drive and put in an empty one.

I can't even do a backup because it now takes 10 minutes to even boot. And that's on top of the graphic issues that it was having before.

4. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Did you switch cables when you switched hard drives? Could be bad HD cable. Well, I guess not if the problems were happening before you switched hard drives.

Activity Monitor doesn't tell us anything?

Did the geniuses give any hints? Or they just had no idea?

Is your MacBook unexpectedly restarting as well?

5. robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

I was having trouble before.

High CPU activity. FAN at maximum speed.

All thermal sensors indicate normal temperatures.

"You logic board might be bad."

Yes, in fact, sometime it won't even boot (or at least takes so long that I gave up).

6. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

High CPU activity from what? What processes or applications?
    When did the problem start? Anything noteworthy (OS update, new application/modifications)?

7. robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's my favorite part: "There is a loose screw inside your laptop. It might have shorted your logic board."

Translation: "it might be you fault". Thanks for shifting the blame!

System

It was just having video issue before. The performance issue is something new. Nothing noteworthy.

8. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Did they at least tighten up the screw? :rolleyes:

As for CPU usage in Activity Monitor, do you mean like SystemUIServices? I don't see just 'system' in my Activity Monitor.

9. robertparker, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

He didn't know where it came from, but it is supposedly "a logic board screw".

kernel_task
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2016 ---
    Apple Support wants me to pickup the laptop from the Apple Store (that's not even near me) and bring it to another Apple Store that's 65 miles away for a second look since the problem cannot be pinpoint exactly.

The performance issue is not just something I notice: I was specifically told by the technician that my MacBook Pro is running slowly.

10. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Have you tried resetting your SMC? Or perhaps they did that at the bar?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Also found this:
    1. Go to About this mac under the apple in the upper left and click on More info
    2. Click on system report
    3. make a note of what it says after Model Identifier
    4. go to your master drive – System -Library – Extensions – IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext -Contents – Plugins – ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext – Contents – Resources – find the name from step 3 and move it to a folder that you can find again if needed.
    5. Restart and you’re done
    Alternately, this seems to do the same thing as the above 5 steps but automatically:
    ( http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-solve-kernel_task-high-cpu-usage.1706948 ) (though it is from 2014)

Here's another good checklist: http://www.cnet.com/news/kerneltask-process-taking-up-an-inordinate-amount-of-cpu

And I found this from 2013: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5497235

11. robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

Believe me, resetting the SMC is the first thing I do before trying something else.

Well, I brought in my Mac with a blank hard drive so it's definitely not anything to do with software.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2016 ---
    I suspect that Apple is digging in and trying to deny as many repairs as possible.

12. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

I dunno, putting that command into the terminal can't hurt. Worth a shot. And the computer is 5 years old, if they repair it for a price that seems fair.

13. robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I will try it when I pickup the computer, but really just going to pick it up from that Apple Store and go to the other Apple Store as instructed.

Really? It's been having this problem (at least the graphic problem) long before it is 5 years old, but every time I bring it in "I am sorry sir, but since it pass the video test, your laptop is not qualified."

And this is not every an outlier issue. Apple itself has acknowledged the issue: https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

One time the graphic issue happened right at the Apple Store (it's intermitted), but Apple did nothing.

14. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Who knows, maybe that particular store's diagnostics machine is busted (in which case they have a lot of explaining to do). Second opinion sounds like a good idea. Hope it works out.

15. robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

No! It's a bureaucratic runaround intended to wear me down until I give up.

16. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

you could run the free diagnostic software --- etrecheck.

17. robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

I am picking up my laptop tomorrow.

I have requested the full diagnostic results in print form.

18. ron1004, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016

ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

My 17" symptoms were much the same as yours.

19. robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

Verified slow computer and recommended mail-in service, customer declined repair.

MRI - passed
    Computer is running really slow
    Cooling System Diag - Stalled on gray screen, did not complete loading test
    VST - Passed
    ASD EFI 3x - Passed
    Missing bottom case screws
    Screws loose inside of the computer
    Missing battery screws
    Missing MLB screws
    GPU is possibly failing
    Recommend main-in service
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2016 ---
    I brought it to another Apple Store.

There were two other people there who brought in 17" 2011 MacBook Pro for video issue.

One clearly failed with multiple vertical lines. The other looks normal and passed the video test like mine did.