Poor performance by iPhone ver.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guruji, Apr 9, 2008.

1. guruji macrumors member

this high quality video on youtube, plays like crap on my iphone ver.1 on road.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Am0WmL2Hj4o

i guess it is due to Edge.

will 3G improve it? Can anyone run this video on their 3G mobile device and post the results here?

I want to know how much exactly is it going to enhance the experience on the road.

Thank you.

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Surely Edge will only make it faster to load?

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Maybe you could just buy the *copyrighted* movie?

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I own the DVD, and did the HandBrake conversion and it is beautiful on my iPhone! :D:p

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

On the current EDGE networks, the quality is downgraded for the purposes of speed, this may not be the case with 3G.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

See? :)

I tried it out and it was like a very stretched video. I really wondered why so many people were wanting to watch someone get killed by a sniper until I figured out what "SPR" stood for. Nope, YouTube still hit its low with LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!!

7. bmb012 macrumors 6502

LEAVE VIN DIESEL ALONE!!!!

Sorry I had to :D

But yes, Edge downgrades the video quality for faster loading.

As for 3G, yeah, it would help, a little bit, it's not nearly as fast as broadband, though...

8. guruji thread starter macrumors member

i dont understand much of the american slang etc. that video was randomly picked from the search list.

the question asked was/is: has anyone played a high quality 'streaming' video over the air (NOT on wifi) on an existing 3G phone and an iphone. and see if how much better it is?

SO THAT, i can make an educated guess, how much an 3G iphone is going to imprv. streaming youtube video over air.

thanks again.

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

No other phones offer a Youtube app so a comparison is useless.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I agree above, that's probably a waste of time. Technology capability wise, HSPA should have no trouble giving you the level of quality the iPhone gets on WiFi. So that's probably what you should expect, although it's all speculation until Apple *does* something...