Poor performance from brand new Airport Express 6th Generation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wwusa, Apr 12, 2015.

1. wwusa macrumors newbie

Just started using my Airport Extreme Base Station (6th generation). Since I started using it the performance from it has been spotty and inconsistent. The machine I browse the web on is a Windows 7 64bit with a wireless N adapter. I use Opera web browser. The symptoms are as follows:

1. Many web pages stall and the browser reports "sending request" for a long time before loading.

2. Some pages won't load at all and I'll get an unavailable screen on Opera. HOWEVER, if I hit refresh the page will load fine.

3. The weirdest one..... some pages will only partially load, so I'll some text and a few graphics.

The airport is not in bridge mode. I have 2 ipads and 2 iphones on the network too. Pages load slow for them too. I am really frustrated with this. I bought an airport extreme for an easy and powerful solution. It performs worse than the router it replaced which was a N router. Any help you guys can offer is appreciated. Thank you.

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

3. wwusa thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a modem, I literally have an ethernet cable that comes from a unit on the outside of my house. I will try your solution when I get home. My old router performs better at this point... what do you think is going on the APE.... why would the DNS setting be messing it up? Thanks.

4. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

All websites are IP addresses but "google.com" is easier to remember than 216.58.218.174.

Every time you type a website name into your browser a DNS server must translate that name into the IP address of the website so that it shows on your browser. So if you have an incorrect DNS in your router, or if for some reason it cannot translate a particular website it must rely on another, if those listed in your router can't translate the name then the website won't be pulled up.

Your modem will typical point to your ISP's DNS server by default, for whatever reason it just may be down, slow, overrun with request, etc but you can set your own DNS server on your router.

Choosing one of google's DNS servers would be a good place to start to see if this very simple change fixes your issues.

IMO, I would change the DNS setting, Apply the settings and then restart the router and then try a website.

Attached Files:

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Can you try with a wired connection to eliminate it being a wi-fi issue.

6. wwusa thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok,

I changed my DNS setting to google DNS and the problem went away!! My only other question is why would my ISPs DNS play nice with my old router and not the Airport express? Is there a minor problem with the Airport express? Thanks.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Did you actually test again with the old router to verify or are you assuming causality?

8. wwusa thread starter macrumors newbie

I know for a fact I never had websites fail to load or partially load on my old router.