Poor performance scrolling through PDFs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by polyx, Feb 12, 2018.

1. polyx macrumors newbie

polyx

I recently got latest MBPr 15". The problem is everywhere I try to view PDFs the scrolling is supper choppy in all apps except Safari and Preview - they work flawlessly. Firefox is decent, but far from perfect scrolling I get in Safari and Preview. Chrome and foxit reader are just terrible and unusable. This happens on all documents both large and small. Is there a solution to this or are PDFs broken everywhere except Preview and Safari?

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Safari naturally uses Preview to view PDFs so no problem there. What extension are you using to view PDFs in the other browsers? Adobe? And get rid of Foxit. Foxit works great in Windows but not with a Mac.

3. polyx thread starter macrumors newbie

polyx

I didnt install any special pdf extensions in either chrome or firefox. Thanks for the tip about foxit. What would you recommend for working with PDF beyond what preview offers and free (surprisingly a lot for a system app)?

4. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

The only other PDF reader besides the Preview extension (automatic for Safari) is to use the Adobe Reader app. You can still download it for free and it does have extensions for browsers. The link above also has the extensions you need.