Poor performane with 1080p video on 2.4 GHZ non uni

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftored, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

Hello,

I acquired today an Asus 22' inch hidef screen with 1920*1080 resolution. So i tried to see some hi def video from quicktime. Checked the I am a legend 1080p trailer and the bbc motion gallery reel.
    Link to the second one here:
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/bbcmotiongalleryreel.html

What i noticed with using quicktime, is that the frame rate varies in different scenes. Sometimes it drops for 1-2 secs to 13-14 fps and then goes to 23-24. This happens a lot of times during the playback.

This was when i used boh screen and had the extend desktop or how it is called on it.

Afterwards i removed teh monitor and playback the film on the laptops screen with only a part of it showing due to the big window size of it . (1920*108 on 1440*900 screen). Performance was the same.

Only thing that was open was messenger for mac in both occasions. Afterwards i quited messenger and things were better but still some drops in performance.

Though that a machine of this technology should not have any problems playing it without any hiccups.

Anyone else has something similar? I told a friend and tried it on a identical laptop and her was ok and always near 23-24 fps.

Any ideas? Can someone try it and post his results?

2. valvehead macrumors regular

Hmmm. No problems here. Playback was at 24 or 30 fps the whole time. This was on my 2.5 GHz Penryn MBP (early 2008). I was watching full-screen on my Panasonic 37" which was connected via HDMI. I had Firefox, Thunderbird, TextEdit, and RME mixer windows open.

3. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

You might want to reinstall something or make sure you have all the latest updates. I have an early 08 mbp 2.4 with 4gb ram and just tried the video. It stayed pegged on 24fps and never dropped below 23.61fps. I had firefox, safari, preview, and activity monitor open and was utilizing about 70-80% cpu.

4. ftored thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

Well i have every update to 10.5.6 and all quicktimes update.

I think i ll make a clean install of the system to check about it.. Are you guys using any codecs?
    Is there something that needs to be checked that may creates the problem?

Really weird. Maybe this ahs something to do with the faulty 8600gt chps that my occur on the mbp? I was thinking that my laptop may be affected because sometimes i had weird display behavior after waking the laptop from sleep and everything was messed up.:$

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The problem is that Quicktime is a weak high-def playback app. If you want to unleash your MBP's power, use Plex. It's the best.

6. ftored thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

I installed Plex yesterday.my question is how i can see the fps in Plex? At some points it lloked like it lagged again as quicktime..:$

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Press 'I' during playback for fps and bitrate info. Also, have a read here about my trials and tribulations with Quicktime, VLC, XBMC and Plex. Basically, QT and VLC are unusable with high bitrate 1080p video. In addition, QT's support of Dolby Digital is flakey and DTS support is nonexistent.

Most of the 1080 trailers are encoded at moderate bitrates, and all are in h.264 video with AAC audio. Blu-ray rips are typically in the 30 mbps range (substantially higher than the trailers), yet even a Mac Mini with Plex can play these and pass through AC3 DD or DTC to a receiver by optical cable for (up to) 7.1 surround sound.

8. ftored thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

Well tried it today and seems better than QT. But again at some points i get around 20-21 fps and then going back to normal again. I think i ll make a clean install of the system to see whats up witth it:$

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

For this video, what are:

1. The container of the movie
    2. The video codec used
    3. The bit rate of the video
    4. The audio codec

10. ftored thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

Well the info of the movie is:

Dimensions: 1920*816
    Codecs: H.264, AAC
    Duration 02:03
    Channel count: 6

Movie: I Am Legend - Trailer.mp4
    Dunno whats the container youmentioned:p.. Think it is the mp4?:p

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I dl'd the trailer. Yes, the container is MPEG-4, video is h.264 and audio is AAC 6 channel. The file's bit rate is 9 mbps, very moderate.

Quicktime drops frames (no surprise there), but Plex only dropped 5 frames in the first second of playback. I'm using a 2.4 gHz Santa Rosa MacBook Pro.

12. ftored thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

So seems we have about the same performance in qt. Weird thing is that my friends was ok in qt with the same mbp as mine and i guess yours too.:$.. So nothing worrying here?

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It sounds like normal Quicktime behavior to me.