Poor quality MBP to VGA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Six118, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Six118 macrumors newbie

Evening all, I have recently purchased a MBP 13 (2011) and the official apple Mini display port ---- to ---- vga connector. I have it connected to a 22 inch dell flatscreen, running at its native res with the laptop closed. The resolution is fine, but the actual picture quality is terrible. It is roughly 50% the kind of quality I'm getting off the laptop screen and about 50% of the quality I get on this monitor out of my desktop.

It isn't a massive issue, because I really just need the screen real estate when I'm working, rather than the nice quality. However it would sure be easier to look at all day if it were up to the same standard as the laptop itself.

Is the quality reduction just an inherent aspect of the conversion from MDP to VGA?? Is there anything I can do to improve it? Different display etc??

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u have to open settings > display, and select the native resolution of whatever ur dell is.

then it should work. tad more than just plug and play :p

3. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem (blurry image) when using a Mini DP -> VGA adapter. I switched to using DVI and all is well.
    It's normal afaik.

4. WickedPuddin macrumors member

5. ZHP macrumors newbie

In my experience, I've seen crisp video from MiniDisplay to VGA. We use them all the time in our IT department and haven't seen what you described. It could be the adapter, it could be the cable.

How old is your Dell monitor? I believe the newer ones have a DisplayPort built in. Worst case scenario, do MiniDisplay to DVI, as it does tend to have higher quality than VGA.