Poor reception on new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by strikingviking, Jul 29, 2010.

1. strikingviking macrumors member

I just bought a new iPhone 4 and although I love the phone and new features, the reception is at best half of what my 3G was. Most calls are dropped within minutes. And I am aware of the "Death grip issue" and hold the phone appropriately.

Others with new iPhones report the opposite, and now have better reception. Anyone else have this signal problem and is there a fix other returning the phone?
    Thanks

2. Sebby macrumors 6502a

What OS version were you running on the old iPhone and what are you running on the new iPhone?

3. Solange82200 macrumors regular

I have good signal with my Iphone 4, even slightly better than my 3gs, which was good to begin with. Im not just talking about the bars either; I usually watch podcasts on my way to work, and there were some spots where I would pass through on my commute that would freeze the podcast on my 3gs temporarily, now on my I4 they dont freeze in those spots or only freeze momentarily.

However, I have read in some other forums of people making claims like you, where they are just getting horrible reception in general, even without the death grip. I dont know if its the area, or a defective phone... But if you really like the phone, I recommend you switch it out for a new one and see if it helps...

4. strikingviking thread starter macrumors member

Old 3G was recently upgraded to 4.0 and just upgraded the new iPhone4 to 4.0.1

5. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

I had the same problem with my iPhone 4. It had nothing to do with the death grip. I simply could not hold 2 calls in a row. I called apple, and they sent me a new iPhone. I suggest you get yours replaced soon before they run out of new replacements and start sending refurbished phones.

6. housemusic101 macrumors newbie

Here's what I've noticed with my iphone 4 (used to have iphone 3g).

Never dropped calls on 3g. New iphone 4, a few times. I'm always in the same places. I know they fixed the bars on the newest firmware. But I've noticed on 4 that bars always bounce from 4 to 1 (all over the place) and never stay consistent. Old phone would just show 4 bars and stay there, never dropping to 1 (in my apartment for example). I don't death grip at all, the bars just fluctuate, but seem to drop more if I hold it in any particular way. I guess I have a weaker signal in my apartment area that I knew of, and iphone 4 shows that? I hardly ever have 5 bars unless I'm in a strong area (Northern VA).

Otherwise phone is nice. I don't talk a whole lot on it, so I guess if I drop a call they can call me back...hehehehe.

Not sure case will help cause even without touching it, bars move around.

7. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I've seen several posts like this and they all ended with "Took it to Apple, they replaced it, the new one works like I expected it to"

8. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I would say that's your answer. The algorithm to display signal level has changed in 4.0.1. Whilst it should only be the reporting of the signal level that has changed, i.e. not the signal itself, some are reporting similar issues.

9. strikingviking thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I am aware of that matter also. But this does not account for most calls now being dropped and occasionally even dropping to No Service. My friends compare signals with their iPhones in the same room and mine is about half of theirs. Maybe I just have a lemon.

10. housemusic101 macrumors newbie

Yeah, my thought is this.

My iphone 4 gets great signal in areas of strong 3g. But seems less in areas of lower 3g coverage that I know of. Would that be a bad antenna? Why not worse reception in strong areas if that's the case as well? Why be great when it's great, but worse when it's worse? Saying worse when comparing original 3g wasn't as bad in lower 3g areas. Not sure if it's a problem worth taking back to the store and trying a new phone for. I don't drop immediate calls, but noticed I did drop a couple when talking for more than 20mins. Coincidence?

11. strikingviking thread starter macrumors member

Called Apple and they wanted me to pay a thirty dollar processing fee for them to send me a replacement on a defective phone two days old. That, or send mine in and wait five days for a replacement. What's wrong with this picture?

12. strikingviking thread starter macrumors member

Can you believe the turds at Apple still have me on hold? It's been two hours now with them coming back on the line every ten minutes stating a senior adviser will be right with me. Looks like they are overloaded with angry customers.
    Did I hear someone say Droid?

13. housemusic101 macrumors newbie

Why call Apple? You don't have local Apple store to go and talk to them?

14. strikingviking thread starter macrumors member

I live a hundred miles from the nearest Apple store so I'd have to take the day off work to drive up there and wait in line to do what they can easily do by mail.

15. Buckmaster macrumors newbie

I would get it replaced, I to was pissed off to have to pay $30 to get a replacement phone mailed to me. My iphone 4 dropped calls. It had a problem with the senser that would let the screen come on when talking on it. Gave in and paid the $30 and got the newer phone the next day, it was worth it, everything works fine now.

16. strikingviking thread starter macrumors member

After a couple of hours of wasted time, mine and theirs, they waived their ridiculous fee. You'd think at this particular moment they would want more happy customers that angry ones.