Poor resolution when hooking up MacBookPro to 22' 1080p HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dladendorf, Mar 11, 2012.

1. dladendorf macrumors newbie

Title kind of says it all. The resolution isn't as crisp as I thought it would be. How do I make it more clear? The text is a bit fuzzy, and just the overall view isn't really sharp. Any fixes/updates/thoughts?

2. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Get a smaller TV, 22 feet diagonal is just humungous!

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Are you mirroring your displays by any chance? If so, the displays will both default to the lowest resolution of the two, which means the image will most likely look like crap on your 1080p TV.

Turn it off and enjoy.

4. dladendorf thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, ment to put it as inches -__- hahaha

No, I'm in clamshell mode. 22 inch fits in my secretary, haha. Sorry, I'm in the Marine Corps, needed a small TV for the xbox, and just trying to see if my MacBook would hook to it.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hard to really tell without knowing how you currently have it hooked up...HDMI? VGA? S-Video? Also, are you actually trying to browse the net, write emails, etc. or just watch movies?

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you're connecting it to a TV that's to be expected. Your TV is not a monitor. Compare its specs to your monitor, paying attention to details such as dot pitch, etc.

7. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

Usually, you get a better picture if you turn off all the "automatic" adjustment controls on a television and at least use the default calibration utility.

Most TV's have some kind of auto adjustable back lighting, contrast and black level which work fine for ota, cable, sat, (normal broadcast content.) The same will hinder or interfere with the display being used as a computer monitor.

8. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

What adapters are you using to hook up the mac to the TV? Also are you running at 1920x1080 resolution on the TV?

Also how new is it? I used to have a fairly old LCD HDTV, and when using it as a monitor, picture quality was appalling. It just wasn't meant as a monitor.

9. dladendorf thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the HDMI to DVI, the the DVI to mini display port. And it should be fairly new. It's the Samsung LED 22 inch.

10. JacaByte macrumors 6502

What resolution are you running the display at?

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Too many adapters aren't really helping you. I'd try to buy another cable MDP to HDMI directly.

12. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

A few things you should do, go to sys pref ->displays and look on your tv and see what the resolution says. It should be set to 1080p.

If it is, the next step would be to check your tv. While it's connected and the right input is selected, change it to another input and then back. For some reason this helps my tv the first time turning it on. If I don't do this, I usually get a shadow effect on all of the text. After this, get your remote and cycle through the aspect ratios or pic size, whatever your remote calls it. Mine is usually on natural I think, yours might be native. It's hard to know without seeing it.

Give that a shot. You should be able to get a clear image on a 22" 1080p tv. If none of that works, I'd try to borrow an adapter from a friend that goes from mdp->hdmi. If not they are cheap at monoprice.com or amazon.

13. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Yea too many adapters really won't help. Each time an adaptor is used you lose 3dB attenuation. Also remember that your tv has a much lower DPI than your monitor, so it won't be as clear as your MacBook in the first place.