Poor Signal Strength iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pureelite1, May 22, 2012.

1. pureelite1 macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3GS 16GB with the carrier Fido. I've had it for 3 years now and never experienced low signal strength. The OS is 5.1 and signal strength was good until about a month ago when i started noticiing that the signal strength is always 3 or less bars and this was never the case before. Even in places i have been before such as work i always used to receive full signal and now its either 2 or "searching." As such it drains my battery and i have no idea why the signal strength just dropped suddenly. Is my sim messed up or the phone itself is showing its age? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Nikhil123 macrumors newbie

The I phone 3gs is the best phone in apple but the signal problem of this phone is very bad this phone is dropped the signals and create problems in communications during the call

3. giffut macrumors 6502

Did you drop it lately? The antenna cable might have a loose connection.

4. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

Yes i did drop it recently. I have the screen fixed twice now due to cracks and that seems like a possibility. How would i go about resolving this?

5. giffut macrumors 6502

You would need to get the screen off and check the antenna cables. IFixit has a nice illustrated tutorial for the 3Gs. If someone did the screen swap for you, he should bother and recheck all connectors.

It's easy, as you just need to unscrew the the bottom screws and via small sucking cup lift the screen close to the screw positions. Be gentle, as the display has three connectors attached to the motherboard, located on the top of the iPhone, right to the earpiece.

6. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot yea i will get that done. I noticed poor signal strength ever since i got my screen fixed the second time so it has to be due to that

7. giffut macrumors 6502