Poor sound quality from internals speakers in rMBP13 Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lipid, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Lipid macrumors member

Hi community! I own latest rMBP13 that is running Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp. In device manager the sound card is detected as Cirrus Logic CS4208 (AB 93), driver was installed automatically with Bootcamp setup.

I've recently found while listening to music in WMP that the sound itself is poor. The volume is ok, but the quality of sound is like downsampled. I tried to listen the same mp3 in native MacOS 10.9.1 and everithing is good, sound is perfect, high tones are clearly pronounced. But in Windows there are almost no high tones..

Did you try to tweak sound or sound card driver in Bootcamp? Thanks in advance.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

my sound in bootcamp is similar, not that great but using vmware fusion everything sounds good again

3. Lipid thread starter macrumors member

You mean, you are running windows in virtual machine under MacOS, right?

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

My MBP has a similar sound chipset, and the quality is poor through the speakers as well. Unfortunately, the drivers that are available provide only basic functionality. There's nothing to tweak unless you count whatever meager adjustments the sound control panel in Windows provides. Further, there are no newer drivers available. The ones Apple provides are the most recent.

Plugging in headphones improves things dramatically. I would suggest using them or buying external speakers.

5. Lipid thread starter macrumors member

What drivers do you have? My device manager shows me the following:

[​IMG]

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes I have a bootcamp partition I can boot into and the sound is crummy in that

I also have vmware fusion that I can run that same bootcamp partition in a vitual machine, this improves the sound quality for me

7. Lipid thread starter macrumors member

Wow, can I run my Bootcamp partition in Parallels under MacOS the same way?

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I am about 99% sure yes you can, it should be similar to vwware

create a new virtual machine and it will ask the normal questions

install from disc or Image, imprort form another machine,

in vmware fusion 6 I click "choose other" and boot camp patition is there

than you have 2 options to import it into its own vittual machine or keep it and use it on the original boot camp parition

I left it so It still gives me the option to boot native off that that boot camp partition