Poor sound quality on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applesauce2, Oct 3, 2012.

1. applesauce2 macrumors newbie

Got my new iPhone - the sound quality is really really poor. Sounds like a damaged speaker. Took it to the apple store and they told me (after listening to it for less than a couple of seconds) that the voice quality was "crystal clear" and how the iPhone 5 sounds.

Apple's product quality and service quality appears to have gone down the drain. May be a good idea to give iphone 5 a miss if you dont need one. Perhaps Tim Cook will advise people to buy nokia speakers or a sony headset to solve the bad sound quality.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. xKevin macrumors newbie

Mine's perfect. :) I'm an audiophile as well so I pick up the smallest distortions.

4. applesauce2 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, well same here. I use the phone frequently to make calls during the day and just isn't going to cut it.

Worst part is the serious attitude problem Apple staff seem to have developed. Was almost like they didn't want to hear about it and preferred to pretend the problem didn't exist.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Guess your choice is clear: return it and get something else.

6. applesauce2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it's a bit hard to return it if they claim there's nothing wrong with it? Not exactly the kinda thing I'd have expected to have to lodge a complaint with the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission).

7. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Hahah.

On a more serious note, who the hell uses the speakers on the phone? Ye, well except listening to anothers voice but that isnt something I crave for.

"Oh I wanna hear ur voice so clear that my brain can take up every hertz in the sound file ure just pumping out with your big pie hole"

No, I use my headset or headphones if I wanna listen to something.

8. applesauce2 thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess the iphone 5 is good for everything but making calls? :)

I like the phone, just disappointing quality and service. Might have to go back different times till I find a decent support person.

My iphone 4 is cut off and the number's ported, nano SIM.. so can't go back to it till this is sorted either.

9. lls4f macrumors regular

I vote for try again. Speak with a manager. I got my first one swapped because of this issue no problem

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I believe you.

That's the problem with iPhone 5. Apples quality has become so inconsistent & problematic that one never knows what you're going to get.

My first iPhone 5 was crystal clear, yet it had several huge scratches over one inch in length around the Apple logo. While I was not shocked since the new $3,300 2011 BTO - MBP I ordered had scratches also. I was hoping to get a new iPhone that looked like new, especially since I paid for a new one.

Took the scratched phone to Apple, got another which still had scratches but at least they were smaller.

Sadly when I got home & received a call, it was really bad. So bad I decided I wasn't going to waste more time & shelved it. Put my exceptionally nice 4S back into service, only to find it even nicer than ever.

My 4S has the wonderful, highly accurate & fast Google Maps. Little did I realize how good they were till the Apple Maps Debacle.

Oh well, like they say... Newer is Not Always Better.

No where does this apply more than to the marginal iPhone 5.

11. Facewest macrumors newbie

When using my iPhone 5 s without any other device to make a phone call the speaker in the phone next to the camera rattles.

This makes it distracting for me during a phone call. I want to make it clear this is not using the phone in speaker mode, this is using the phone as a regular phone as you place the phone against your ear to listen to the person talking to you.

My iPhone 4S does not have this problem I have also noticed the build quality on the iPhone 4S is almost military spec. My new iPhone 5S rattles and is not a very solid phone.

Bluetooth: I noticed that when using the Bluetooth on the iPhone 5S the audio quality was poor sort of crackly when listening to the person talking to me. My voice to the person listening was perfect. I replaced 4 Bluetooth headsets trying to solve the problem.

I then used a friends iPhone 5S and the problem was the same after pairing the headset to that phone still poor audio quality on Bluetooth phone calls when listening to the caller.

I Got my wife's iPhone 4S and paired the headset to it and the bluetooth audio on phone calls was superb, absolutely perfect when listening to the caller. My wife was shocked at the improvement when the headset was paired to her iPhone 4S.

I tried a 2nd iPhone 4S and again the audio was very perfect, smooth, and awesome on Bluetooth phone calls.

I am taking the iPhone 5S back and getting an iPhone 4S today.

I have an FCC license