Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacunivac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
Cumming, GA
I just upgraded from the iPad air and have the new 12.9 inch iPad Pro. When viewing videos on the Internet such as a news website, the video is terribly blurry and fuzzy. It used to be gorgeous on the old iPad air. Is there a setting I missing?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Maybe video hosted on site is low quality? How’s the quality of local video? Do you have a nice internet connection?

NightWingz

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
OP, I mentioned in my non-optimized app thread about this same issue.

I was browsing YouTube using safari with the units from Apple Store and even 720p video look horrendous on the 12.9".

Was wondering what's the minimum acceptable quality for a 10.5" and 12.9" display respectively.

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
I've been facing the same issue on my 12.9 specifically on Youtube.

The videos always default to lower quality like 480p and I have to manually switch it to 1080p.

I can't seem to find a setting which would make it default to 1080p

NightWingz

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
I've been facing the same issue on my 12.9 specifically on Youtube.

The videos always default to lower quality like 480p and I have to manually switch it to 1080p.

I can't seem to find a setting which would make it default to 1080p

Can I check if 720p videos look bad on 12.9" full screen?

For me, 720p is the minimum acceptable quality for my iPhone 7 plus and iPad Pro 9.7", so am wondering if I do upgrade to 12.9", is the minimum acceptable now 1080p?

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
And dumb question: you adjusted the resolution "quality" in the app?

I end up having to change the "quality" for each individual video I watch.

I tried looking for a setting in the app that would change the default altogether but I couldn't locate it.

NightWingz

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
I
I end up having to change the "quality" for each individual video I watch.

I tried looking for a setting in the app that would change the default altogether but I couldn't locate it.
In your case I believe it's YouTube app issue.
They seem to be prioritizing fast loading using smaller resolution in the latest update.

I am seeing the same behavior on my end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.