Poor Wi-Fi Reception on my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benhollberg, Sep 29, 2010.

1. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Recently I am experiencing very poor Wi-Fi reception on my MacBook Pro. I have a 17" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB memory and 500 GB hard drive. I bought it new from Apple in June 2009.

I have loved this computer but just the last month I am noticed that my WiFi reception has gone way below what it used to be. I used to never have these problems. First I noticed in school (University of Utah) that I could not connect one time because it barely could read there was a network. I looked around and everyone was on the internet and I even as a kid next to me if he was using the school's and he said yes and he had full WiFi bars. Later that day i went home and noticed that where I keep and use my computer for most of the time I only have on bar of reception. I know that usually it is all the way full.

Does anyone know if something went wrong or if anyone has been having these same problems? Or is there something I can do? I would love some help or some kind of solution. Thanks.

2. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

probably doesn't apply to your case but do you know if you were connecting to a netgear router? mbp kinda have issues with netgear.

other then that bring it to the apple store

3. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

No at home I use an Airport Express and at school it is an enterprise network and I have seen Cisco routers hanging from the ceilings.

Have you heard of this happening to anyone recently?

4. Kyffin macrumors 6502

5. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I believe that was for the routers. The main problem I have is with my computer. I know it is the computer also because right next to each other I can get full WiFi reception on my iPhone and get none or barely any on my MacBook Pro.

I remember a long time ago I had one of my older Macs get a airport card installed at the Apple Store. If I remember right it was only a couple dollars, like less than $10. Does anyone know if those airport cards are still that cheap?

6. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

everthings cheap online/on ebay. ;)

7. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

True, first I am going to take it to the Apple Store and see what they say. Who knows, maybe it might be under some extended warranty or something. And if it is cheap then I will just have them replace it. And because I don't want to go through the hassle of doing it myself. Thanks though.