Poor wi-fi signal/connection - causes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by booyah2014, Jan 14, 2016.

1. booyah2014, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

booyah2014 macrumors member

Just bought a refurbished 6 off eBay. Seller seems pretty reputable - 10,000+ feedback, 99% positive with hundreds of these handsets sold. It's in excellent condition and everything seems fine except.......

Wi-Fi.

The wi-fi signal in my home is very good - I have numerous devices that use it (PS4, several laptops, TV, etc) and all work flawlessly 99% of the time. It's a 100mb fibre line so it's pretty fast too.

However I've connected this refurbed iPhone 6 to it and I'm getting 1 or 2 bars maximum of wi-fi signal if I'm lucky - sometimes it just drops out completely, and when opening Safari on it connected to wi-fi, it's taking forever to load web pages when it should be near enough instant or a few seconds maximum. It's taking more like 15-20 seconds to load a single page.

Sometimes the signal drops out completely, even though I'm only 2 rooms away from the router and all other devices are working fine.

Any fix for this without sending it back? The eBay company I bought it from offer a 12 month return to base warranty but that'll mean easily 2 weeks before I get the phone back, or if I ask for a refund that's going to take a long time too.

EDIT: Now it won't even pick up my wi-fi router. All other devices (including this laptop I'm writing this on) completely fine and connected.

2. HEK Suspended

HEK

Try resetting networks in settings and then signing in to your network again.

Take it to another wifi location, does it have trouble there as well?

3. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

4. booyah2014 thread starter macrumors member

Tried the following (all separately):

-Resetting network settings
    -Hard reset
    -Erase all content and settings
    -Restore via iTunes
    -Disabling wifi networking services
    -Resetting my router

None of which solved the problem and my phone still didn't detect mine nor any other wifi signals. All my other devices (laptop, tv etc) all connect fine to my wifi and the signal never drops.

Clearly the phone. Sent it back to the company I bought it from, they've promised to send a (hopefully working..) replacement for the following day (tommorow).

Pretty damn good service, if it works, not bad for an eBay trader.