Poor wifi range since updating to Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chic0, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

Ever since I updated to lion on my MacBook Pro, I've been having wifi problems.

One of the issues was with it intermittently dropping out every now and again, but this has stopped since updating to 10.7.1

My other problem seems to be wifi range. I live in an apartment. My AEBS is in the lounge. I connect to this using 802.11n on 5ghz frequency.

In the lounge I have perfect wifi signal, which is expected, but as soon as I walk to the bedroom, it drops drastically and sometimes even loses signal completely.

This is odd because when I was using snow leopard I had good wifi signal in my bedroom. Also my bedroom is not far at all from my lounge. Yes the signal has to go through a few walls, but nothing major.

Strangely enough, my iPad2 also performs fine in the bedroom. I get two bars.

Any ideas how I could resolve this? It's becoming an issue if I try streaming videos from my NAS :(

2. Taz Mangus, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

A few things to try:

1. Reset PRAM and SMC.
    2. Shut down the computers and the routers. Reboot routers first followed by computers.
    3. Delete network from network preferences, turn off wi-fi, turn on wi-fi and reconnect to network, select to add network to keychain.

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

If none of those work, go back to Snow Leopard. I ended up doing that after getting tired of various wifi issues.