Poor Wifi signal on TC. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dubie76, May 22, 2014.

1. dubie76 macrumors newbie

I have the newest generation TC. I have it connected to a cable modem to use as my wifi connection. I have 100 mps download speeds. I connect wifi to my macbook pro, iphone, and ipad.

The wifi connection constantly has been dropping, or is so slow that google home page wont even load up. I unplug and plug the TC back in and its fine for a day or two. I have reset it to default and went through the create network setup multiple times.

Is this normal? Is there something I am doing wrong? I am looking for any ideas or suggestions. I hope that it isnt going out. I have read something about rolling back the firmware but ther is only the newest firmware displayed when I hold the option key and hover over firmware. I am running a late 2010 macbook pro with mavericks.

Thanks

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

3. dubie76 thread starter macrumors newbie

And what do you do? Is this a common issue? Bad TC? normal? any fix?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problems here. Perhaps a bad one... Is it in Bridge Mode or DHCP and NAT mode.

5. dubie76 thread starter macrumors newbie

DHCP and NAT mode. I was reading that maybe I should bridge it with the same SSID as my cable modem?

I understand that I wont get 100 mps down on wifi but for it to go from 10-70-no connection and back up to 50 there is an issue somewhere.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try resetting the base station. To do so, simply unplug it, insert a paperclip into the reset button, and plug it in. Wait until the front light blinks rapidly before releasing the button. Then reconfigure in AirPort Utility.

7. dubie76 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try using Bridge Mode, but the network name should always be different than the modem. In fact, the modem shouldn't even be putting out wireless.

9. dubie76 thread starter macrumors newbie

The cable modem is not wifi. Thats why I use the TC

10. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I switched to Netgear routers and have not had any problems. Maybe I had a bad TC. Either way I gave up on it. Got tired of the timeouts.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Give Bridge Mode a shot. It shouldn't make a difference.