Poor WiFi with Airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by topgazza, Jun 15, 2014.

1. topgazza macrumors newbie

Just bought an Airprort Extreme to boost my WiFi performance in my house. Everyone tells me its the absolute tops for performance in n or ac. I have tried several locations but cannot get more than 180Mbs on my iMac when is on a dedicated 5GHz channel on ac. iMac is no more than 15 feet away at the top of the stairs from where the Extreme is so no walls or ceilings as such. Pretty poor by any standards. Interference is around -72 so not that high.

I am sending it back to Amazon for exchange in case there is something wrong with it but it seems odd for such a highly rated device to perform so badly. Anyone else had similar experiences or what should I expect given the location of the devices ? :)

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would try a factory reset. Take a paper clip or ball point pen and insert it in the reset hole. It is located on the rear of the unit. Then, while holding the reset button, plug it in and continue to hold until the front status light begins to flash rapidly. Then release the button and reconfigure in AirPort Utility. Ensure you are using the latest AirPort Utility in Lion 10.7 + or the latest for iOS.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Just out of curiosity, is 180Mbps down considered slow these days? What speed should you be seeing from your wifi?

4. topgazza thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give that go...thanks. I'm on Mavericks and I believe the latest Airport utility. My iMac is new and a late 2013 model

Jon.. its fast to be fair but not as fast as it supposed to be capable of. 2.4GHz performance is great on my MBP with n only and runs at 300Mbs which is max for n.

ac, given the distance and lack of walls/interference should be giving a lot more. Certainly seen people quoting 700-900 Mbs. But I'd love confirmation as to what wireless speed to expect

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So is the speed your Transmit Rate or how fast your benchmarks were showing?

6. topgazza thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did the restore fix anything?

8. topgazza thread starter macrumors newbie

Afraid not. It's unlikely to be the case but I have requested an exchange which has been authorised on case I have a suspect one

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am going to guess yours is indeed defective because you separated the 5 GHz network and it still causes issues.

10. topgazza thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll update as soon as I get the replacement guys

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Thank you. I look forward to hearing the result.

12. phositadc macrumors 6502

That's just plain wrong. It is certainly tops for simplicity and ease of setup, but nowhere near tops for performance, either in throughput or range. It lags well behind the latest from net gear and asus in both of those areas. See reviews at small net builder for details.

Of course, the asus and net gear have other issues, so if you want reliability and ease of use the airport may still be the best option for you. And the performance increases that the net gear and asus have May not be noticeable in real world use depending on your usage. But do not be deceived--AirPort Extreme performance is decidedly not "tops."