Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Two days ago I got a 'new' refurbished 13" MBP from Apple to replace my aging 2006 MB. It's ok, but not quite as nice as I expected. One major thing I've noticed is that the wireless reception is much worse than my old MacBook. They're both connected to a Netgear WGR614 v9, but the MB is getting about 2/4 bars, while the MBP is constantly dropping the connection.

In fact, right now I have the MB booted in Win7 and it's running Connectify, in order to share the connection with the MBP.

I'm downloading the latest software updates right now, and then I'll see if any firmware is available, but I doubt that will make much of a difference.

Is this because the new MBP is made from aluminium?

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
To fix the connection issue you could try changing the router wifi channel. Set it to channel 11.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Probably!

Not even.

You are likely getting local interference on the Wi-Fi. It may help to change channels, but sometimes that is not enough when operating in the 2.4Ghz space. Worst case, you would have to upgrade to a Wireless N 5Ghz router to solve your issue, and cut through the interference.

TEG

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
13 in Wifi

I have 2.4 Linksys and my 13 in MBP does great. I took it to Barcelona and used wireless all over Spain and Italy with no problem. Stayed in 3 different motels last week in the Charlotte, NC area and no problem with reception. I don't think it is the materials the 13 build that is causing the problem.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
To fix the connection issue you could try changing the router wifi channel. Set it to channel 11.

whats so good about channel 11. i noticed the other day with a iphone app that everyone on my block is also on channel 11 so i changed my channel. it worked fine before and works fine now. oh and i have also have a mbp 13"

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi

Not even.

You are likely getting local interference on the Wi-Fi. It may help to change channels, but sometimes that is not enough when operating in the 2.4Ghz space. Worst case, you would have to upgrade to a Wireless N 5Ghz router to solve your issue, and cut through the interference.

TEG

I don't think that's the issue in this case. Out of ~15 networks I'm picking up, mine is the only one on channel 1. Everyone else is on 6 or 11 (with one or two on 2 & 9).

I have 2.4 Linksys and my 13 in MBP does great. I took it to Barcelona and used wireless all over Spain and Italy with no problem. Stayed in 3 different motels last week in the Charlotte, NC area and no problem with reception. I don't think it is the materials the 13 build that is causing the problem.

So why can my plastic MB get the signal so well? It's still doing much better than the MBP. Thank God for Boot Camp/Windows 7 and Connectify.

whats so good about channel 11. i noticed the other day with a iphone app that everyone on my block is also on channel 11 so i changed my channel. it worked fine before and works fine now. oh and i have also have a mbp 13"

It's not that channel 11 is so special. The main point is to have your wireless broadcasting as far away from the other transmitters as possible. Even though there are 11 (or 13) wifi channels, there is still cross-channel interference. So if most of the wireless routers in your area are on channels 6 and 11, obviously you want to be on channel 1, and vice versa.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Chipsets?

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the chipsets... The WGR614v9 uses the Broadcom chipset, which is the same company that makes the wireless card in my new MBP. But... the chipset in the MB is Atheros.

Thoughts?

Keep in mind that I'm using these side by side. It's not like I'm just imagining things.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
There has always been questions surrounding WIFI with the MacBook Pro even going back to the PowerBook days. In comparison to the iBook/MacBook, the PowerBook/MacBook Pro has always been second to it in terms connectivity (although the range became better in the MacBook Pro from the PowerBook).

The metal encasing of the MacBook Pro could play a part but I doubt it can affect the range that much. Other things you need to isolate/determine is if there is any interference and software, something that usually isn't considered. I know for me games that run on both OS X and Windows, those that run in Windows ALWAYS have a lower ping/latency (low 20's) compared to OS X which is always 80ms or higher. Tested this out in Warcraft/Frozen Throne, WoW and the Windows version had better wireless performance. Obviously my experience isn't the whole story but something that should be looked into.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
There has always been questions surrounding WIFI with the MacBook Pro even going back to the PowerBook days. In comparison to the iBook/MacBook, the PowerBook/MacBook Pro has always been second to it in terms connectivity (although the range became better in the MacBook Pro from the PowerBook).

The metal encasing of the MacBook Pro could play a part but I doubt it can affect the range that much. Other things you need to isolate/determine is if there is any interference and software, something that usually isn't considered. I know for me games that run on both OS X and Windows, those that run in Windows ALWAYS have a lower ping/latency (low 20's) compared to OS X which is always 80ms or higher. Tested this out in Warcraft/Frozen Throne, WoW and the Windows version had better wireless performance. Obviously my experience isn't the whole story but something that should be looked into.

Good points. I hadn't thought of the software issue. On the MB, I was running 10.4.something, and on the MBP it's 10.6.2. Other than that, I think of any differences. Oh well. At least the Connectify is keeping me sane for now. I may just replace the router with something different, whether or not it helps. I've never been fond of Netgear.

pockyrevolution

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I've noticed the difference in wifi range between plastic and aluminum shells.

My sister has a MacBook which gets better range (measured using iStumbler).

I also have an old iBook clamshell which I think gets the best range, despite having just an 802.11b card inside.

For my MacBook Pro, I ended up getting a USB antenna which easily beat out the MacBook and the clamshell iBook. Here's the one I got for $50:
http://www.slashgear.com/rokland-be...apter-promises-double-range-for-macs-0364982/

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
upgrade firmware in the router and the MB if newer is available

as others suggested, check for other WIFI networks and switch to an unused channel to avoid interference

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
Two days ago I got a 'new' refurbished 13" MBP from Apple to replace my aging 2006 MB. It's ok, but not quite as nice as I expected. One major thing I've noticed is that the wireless reception is much worse than my old MacBook. They're both connected to a Netgear WGR614 v9, but the MB is getting about 2/4 bars, while the MBP is constantly dropping the connection.

In fact, right now I have the MB booted in Win7 and it's running Connectify, in order to share the connection with the MBP.

I'm downloading the latest software updates right now, and then I'll see if any firmware is available, but I doubt that will make much of a difference.

Is this because the new MBP is made from aluminium?

Well I'd like to know if it is common knowledge that the higher spec bad boys have a better airport then because when I tested out the 13" for myself I suffered similar connection problems. Is this true or was it my imagination? Note: I tested it thoroughly so know the answer already. :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well I'd like to know if it is common knowledge that the higher spec bad boys have a better airport then because when I tested out the 13" for myself I suffered similar connection problems. Is this true or was it my imagination? Note: I tested it thoroughly so know the answer already. :rolleyes:

They have the same airport shambo. :rolleyes:

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
I've noticed the difference in wifi range between plastic and aluminum shells.

My sister has a MacBook which gets better range (measured using iStumbler).

I also have an old iBook clamshell which I think gets the best range, despite having just an 802.11b card inside.

For my MacBook Pro, I ended up getting a USB antenna which easily beat out the MacBook and the clamshell iBook. Here's the one I got for $50:
http://www.slashgear.com/rokland-be...apter-promises-double-range-for-macs-0364982/

That looks like a pretty neat extender. I tried using one that my friend uses, but it wasn't compatible with Mac. Are you sure your 11b iBook gets the best range?

upgrade firmware in the router and the MB if newer is available

as others suggested, check for other WIFI networks and switch to an unused channel to avoid interference

As I said before, there were no other networks on this channel, and my '06 MacBook did just fine.

I'm finding it difficult to follow your train of thought here....

They have the same airport shambo. :rolleyes:

In the end, I just got a new router from Verizon anyway. 25 up, 10 down now!

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

I always put my AP on either channel 1 or 11. As far away as channel 6 as possible. :)

2.4Ghz cordless phones also share the same frequencies as wifi. Either don't use cordless phones or find ones that are 900Mhz.

The Netgear was on channel 1 (the only one free). The cordless phone is on 5.8 GHz and we have a convection oven - no microwave.

Stop making excuses for the MBP's poor wireless reception!!!

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.