Poor Wireless Speeds using Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Just1nCase, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Just1nCase macrumors member

I've recently upgraded into a faster Internet Provider, but for some, I'm still getting poor internet speeds using my Airport Extreme Base Station (Model # A1034) when using my Wifi.

When connected via Wifi, I'm getting at least 1-3/Mbps downstream while I can achieve 10-15/Mbps when wired.

What's causing this drastic downstream speed difference between Wifi and wired? Do you think it's time for a new wireless router?

Any thoughts? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

u definitely need a newer router, such as the new airport extreme/express which supports the latest 802.1n.

u may also need a usb wifi 802.1n wifi dongle/receiver if your computer is too old and does not support 802.1n :)

3. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I believe it's about time to upgrade my router to one that offers 802.11n. I mean, why not? My laptop currently supports 802.11n, but I would need to purchase the upgrade from Apple first (I have the Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro). But for older laptops, would they need a wifi n dongle to work with the router? or can it run both g and n to avoid the inconvenience?

Also, the Apple Extreme Base Stations are pretty pricey ($179.00). Is it really worth it or is there any other wireless routers that offer a more affordable option, but still provide the same performance?

I don't plan on attaching any printers or hard drives to my router. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Justin

4. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

if you are not a heavy user (e.g. peer-to-peer file sharing) & dont need those advanced functions, a cheaper N router should be fine. last time i check a cheap N router can be as cheap as ~US$30 here in Hong Kong.

older G notebooks can also connect to a N router, if your N router is configured to operate in B+G+N compatible mode, but the speed is limited to G if your notebook dont have the N wifi dongle.

Attached Files:

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

IF you don't feel like spending extra money and still want an Apple product try an Express. But make sure you are aware of it's limitations before you buy one.